+ Reply to Thread

Default Paint or Seal Concrete Foundation

We have a brick foundation that is built up about 3 foot above grade. It has a skim coating of concrete on it now which has deteriorated. My neighbors roof does not have gutters in this area so a decent amount of water splashes off the walkway onto to the wall. It is causing the brick to absorb the water and white crystals build up on the inside of the wall (cant remember what that is called) Anyway, we want to minimize the amount of water penetration so my idea is to remove the layer of concrete and redo it. Then put a waterproof coating on top of that. Is there a good sealer or paint that I should use? Since it is along my neighbors walkway I dont want to use tar since it would be very ugly but I want something that is going to last and will keep the water from penetrating the brick and thus minimize the crystals. Any ideas?

Default Re: Paint or Seal Concrete Foundation

Lots-a-work,

The simplest would probably be to have the parging (the skim coat of cement like material) repaired and then paint it with an acrylic based stucco paint, after letting the new cement material age several weeks.