+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Talk to me about gutters...

I did not mean to imply that more expensive is better, it not always is. It's a business transaction so you need to look for professionalism, and not just "sales professional". You want a contract that includes all the specs you want. That way, if they don't deliver, you will have recourse.

I am not familiar with roof hangers, we live in the south and my daughters roof pitch is only about a 6/12. I would ask about the size of the screws used and the gauge of the metal used in the gutter. You might not need the 6" gutter, a 5" will probably do unless you get a lot of rainfall, but the gauge will make a big difference in durability. BTW, the smaller the number, the thicker the metal. A 14 or 16 gauge would be preferable to an 18 or 22 gauge. I don't know what gauges are available in your area.

The hangers that I had them use are fastened into the 2 x 6 fascia board, so the rafter spacing is not important for that type.

My in-laws have the leaf guards and dirt still gets into the gutter on the design they have and needs to be cleaned out. Unfortunately I don't know the mfg of theirs since they were on long before i was in the family.

The type of hangers to be used to support the gutters actually depends on the way the house is finished. In some cases the roof hangers are better than ordinary hangers. Still, have as many as you can of them for max support. Sometimes guttermen use special brackets to make sure the gutters are leveled horizontally.