+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Talk to me about gutters...

We need to have our gutters replaced and are wondering the pros and cons of both seamed and seamless gutters...any ideas? opinions?

Thanks!

Default Re: Talk to me about gutters...

No matter which way you decide to go, this will be an opportunity to take down the old gutters yourself and paint the wood behind them. I would suggest two or three coats of a top quality paint. Of course, there is the risk that that might lead to painting the whole house.

Best suggestion: call a local gutterman and let him talk to you.

We talked to 2 gutter guys but don't know which is the best way to go. Our neighbors have seamless but say that they get deformed easily. Our current ones are seamed and are a disaster. They don't seem that old.

Just wondering which way is the longest lasting and least maintenance.

my preference is seamless with hangers every 16". I insist on the extra hangers and tell them to price it that way to begin with. I also make it known that I will measure when they are done and before I give them the last check.

I vote seamless, but even then there are different levels of quality. A good gutterman should have literature on his product and give you a contract that spells out what type of gutter, what color, number of downspouts and the direction of the outflow from the downspout.

Quotes delivered on the back of a business card, a scrap of paper or over the telephone should be avoided, even though their prices are tempting. Without a specific quote, with all the details, in writing, they are free to use substandard materials and not meet your expectations.

I just went through this with my daughter, she has quotes ranging from $375 delivered by phone to $675. I recommended, and she agreed to go with the $675 because of the professionalism of the quote and she is happy with the results. She also is a business woman and though not proficient in gutters or any other household contracting's, she does recognize professionalism.

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    my preference is seamless with hangers every 16". I insist on the extra hangers and tell them to price it that way to begin with. I also make it known that I will measure when they are done and before I give them the last check.
    Good point, but if your rafters are on 24" centers, it might be better to specify that spacing, but make sure the hangers align with the rafters and that they use 1 5/8" #10 screws instead of 5/8" #8.

Add one more vote for seamless. Get the larger 6" ones with matching downspouts.

While the standard round these parts is one downspout every 30 linear feet, I find it wise to add more where needed. Keep in mind water doesn't like to make right turns, so at least one downspout on each straight section is a good idea.

If you have a diagram of your house we can offer suggestions on downspout placement.

I would suggest two or three coats of a top quality paint. Of course, there is the risk that that might lead to painting the whole house.

***! Thanks for all the great tips! We were leaning toward using the cheaper guy, not because he was cheaper but he seemed to take more time looking at what needed to be done and talking to us about the options etc. He definitely seems more likely to follow our wishes on hanger placement etc. He even suggested adding a section that we ourselves thought needed to be there (the first guy didn't mention it).

I'll make sure we measure the rafters and ask that hangers be placed at each rafter.

Both companies said we needed to use roof hangers, that it was what our roof was designed for (it's a steep pitch). One guy also suggested using the leaf guard things. Any experience with either of these things?