I live in a house built in 1929 that once had lots of period details, but these were mostly obliterated in a redo in about 1990 - a gentleman with a lot of friends and energy, and not a lot of money, was in a hurry to fix things up because he was getting married. Since the house was basically in original condition prior to that, some things were very worn, evidently including the black and white bathroom tile. He ripped out all the tile on the walls with a sledgehammer and threw up wallboard, and laid vinyl sheet flooring over the tile underneath. I have put in new white tile with black trim around the tub, but the floor has bugged me for years. A corner of it was turned up at the threshold and finally I couldn't stand it and sliced off the corner with a utility knife and got some Goof-Off and cleaned it up best I could, and there is black and white tile under there.

Since I can't count on having Tommy come and do this job for me, I have two questions. If I do decide to indulge my passion for fixing this floor, what would be the best material for getting the mastic up without harming the original tile underneath? The work was done in a very asbestos-sensitive way because the family was planning to have lots of kids, so I doubt the brown stuff has asbestos in it.

Second, once I have the stuff up, what might be the way to go if there is a little repair/restoration needed on the floor - are there people who do that kind of work on vintage bathroom floors?

(Of course if TOH would like to come to Baltimore and tackle a lovely 1930 arts and crafts-ish Dutch colonial I'd love to see them... )