+ Reply to Thread

Question Removing silicone caulking

What is the easiest way to remove old silicone caulking from around bathtubs and from around exterior doors and windows?

Default Re: Removing silicone caulking

Oddly enough, a white rubber dog chew, the ball with the bumps on it. Rub it vigorously on the caulk and you'll "roll" it right off, kind of like using an eraser. This worked well for removing silicone caulk that was gobbed onto the siding of a house so that I could recaulk and repaint. Bathtubs are a bit tougher because of the tight corners, but the great thing about a rubber chew toy is that it can be cut to suit the situation. The reason for a white toy is that it should be less marking than colored products that will scuff off their color onto whatever you're trying to clean.

Use a heat gun on a low setting this will make the caulk malleable and easy to remove. Sc**** off any excess with a razor blade.

you can use wd40 spray to get 100% silcon off ,it also works on getting it off your skin. It shouldn't take much.

I don't know if this will work for both types of applications (tub, exterior) but DAP has some stuff called caulk-be-gone or silicone-be-gone that is supposed to work very well. I've seen DAP at Home Depot and my local hardware store. P

Quote Originally Posted by greendragonfly View Post
    I don't know if this will work for both types of applications (tub, exterior) but DAP has some stuff called caulk-be-gone or silicone-be-gone that is supposed to work very well. I've seen DAP at Home Depot and my local hardware store. P
    If this is the same stuff I've tried in the past, it's worthless. It barely softens latex caulk (barely meaning the surface gets a slight slime layer) and doesn't even touch silicone. The suggestions of WD-40 and mineral spirits has me intrigued, however the residual oils left from those products would likely prevent all future caulking from adhering as well as cause issues with painting if the surface requires it.