+ Reply to Thread

Default Deeply Discolored Bathroom Grout

We recently purchased a 1954-vintage house with it original bathroon tile. The tile is in decent condition and we want to keep it. The grout itself is intact but is deeply discolored. I've heard that a bleach pen will do the trick, but is there anything better we could use that would do restore the grout close to its original white? I would like to avoid regrouting just because of discolorization.

Default Re: Deeply Discolored Bathroom Grout

The best way to clean grout is with steam. There are a number of affordable household steam cleaners available, the two I like the best are SteamFast SF275 and the US Steam ES500. I have both of these machines and they both work extremely well. The Steamfast is an inexpensive entry level steamer that will get you accustomed to all the uses of steam. When you decide to upgrade, the ES500 is a worthwhile investment.

One of the biggest draws to steam cleaning is that you can both clean and sanitize without the use of harsh, caustic, environmentally unfriendly chemicals, saving you money and the planet. It is especially useful to those with allergy sensitivities.

If you have any questions about either of these, I'd be happy to assist.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

In 1954 most grout was grey / ceement colored.

There is grout stain available, but it must be painted on by hand.

Try the method described in the above post, and see what results you achieve.

The steam method should work, but if you don't want to buy or rent a steam machine, try brushing bleach and comet.

What you don't want to do, re-grout, is the best answer though.

How about that Grout Buddy stuff they advertise on TV? Sounds like a great concept...