+ Reply to Thread

Default Painting Fireplace Surround

Hello All - I ran myself into an interesting problem this weekend!

I moved into a house with a painted fireplace. I probably would not have painted it if it weren't already painted a gross color.... So I got out my paint and hopped to it.

Come to find out, the insert had been caulked in place and some excess clear caulk was spread around. Obviously, my paint did not adhere to this thin layer of caulk and instead it peeled right off.

So, I peeled what I could of the paint from the caulk, and some of the caulk came with it. I have a mess on my hands and I am trying to decide between:

1: Scraping off what I can of the caulk and painting around it or...

2: Completely scraping the caulk out of the crevice and doing my paint job, and re-applying caulk after paint is cured.

...or maybe a third option that I haven't thought of!

Has anyone faced a similar situation? I am not even familiar enough with the installation of an insert like this, but I think this caulk was just for aesthetics rather than to really seal the gaps. I am afraid I cannot use paintable caulk because it will need to be heat resistant too.

Here is an image of my problem!!

Default Re: Painting Fireplace Surround

Third option: cover it with nice moulding, that will match the rest of the fireplace surround.

Good call! That will work for sure. I am curious if there is a way to fix the mess before covering it up. Thank You!

Don't worry about the mess, if you are going to cover it.

As far as I know, you can't paint over it to perfection, but let our painting experts comment on this issue.

BTW, how did you load a picture with your questions?

I am using the HTML editor and there is a small picture Icon, I had to host the image on my dropbox for it to be able to load. I don't know of a way to upload right to this forum. Hope that helps!

dj1 probably has the best solution. The caulk in the picture appears to be silicone. If so, you have to totally remove it in order to get new paint or caulk to stick to it. Silicone won't even stick to itself and I know of no sealer to prime it in. Most of us here on this site hate silicone except for very specific uses.

I am curious if there is a way to fix the mess before covering it up.

Great solution dj! Thumbs Up!

I just spoke to a friend who said he wouldn't excpect the caulk to be there for purposes of keeping fire in the hearth, but to keep heat in the house. He didn't think caulk should be there for purposes of woodburning. Thoughts? Has anyone seen caulk on a woodburning fireplace surround before? Some of the other DIY in this house is pretty shotty itself...So it makes me wonder.