+ Reply to Thread

Default Low water pressure

I am suffering from the age old complaint of low water pressure in the showers and everywhere else. We have basically learned to not do things like flush the toilet when someone is taking a shower if you don’t want to hear a lot of yelling.

I am on a well and have an 11 year old Culligan water conditioning system which I religiously have serviced by Culligan every year. This problem did not start when the conditioning system was installed, rather I believe it gradually declined over the years.

My Culligan rep recommended the following: 1) Refurbish the current Culligan System, 2) Replace the pressure tank with a Well X Trol WX302 86 Gallon Tank and 3) Install a Grundfos ¾ HP Whole House Booster after the Culligan system.
    Does this all make sense? Seems kind of strange to “pull” water through the conditioner with the booster pump. Is this the right way to solve my problem?

Fyi, I ran the following test. In the whirlpool tub in the master bath which has a large faucet spout, I timed filling a 5 gallon bucket with cold water then I put the Culligan system in bypass and timed it again. With the conditioner in line – 81 seconds. With the conditioner in by-pass – 50 seconds. Seems like I am getting a 40% pressure hit through that system.

Current System Details
    House – 4,000 Sq Ft living space with 2.5 baths, 22 years old
    Plumbing – original ¾” rigid copper distribution
    Well Pump – Goulds 5GS07422 ¾ HP, 12 years old
    Pressure Tank – Well-Rite WR140-01 44 Gallon, 22 years old
    Pressure Switch – 20/40, replaced a few years ago
    Filter/Conditioner – Culligan Cullneu, 11 years old

Default Re: Low water pressure

Water at low pressure is really a big problem for me as I daily arrive late to my office. And basically it has become a major problem for every people living in my area.
    Visit this link.. Hidden Content

Have you reached out to your local Water Public Utility? I have the same problem, and the website had a FAQ about it that helped me narrow down the problem. Perhaps you can start with having your company measure the water pressure that is getting TO your main?

waterone [dot] org/faqs.htm#water_pressure
    Last edited by jaimeiam; 08-13-2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: not enough credit to post hyperlink

There is a difference between water pressure and flow rate.

You can have high pressure and low flow rate if your pipes are clogged or undersized. Low pressure in the neighborhood cannot be fixed by you.

Test the pressure at the meter. Ask the local water authority what the pressure should be for your neighborhood or street. They should know. Compare your results. If the pressure is OK, you have a few options; Upgrade the system, install larger pipes in your home, add a (pressure controlled) gear pump to suck the water into your home if that is allowed in your fair city.

I would say you answered your own question. You have a volume problem caused by the softener. It may be time to replace it. There shouldn't be a 40 percent drop in volume when the softener is in use.

John

I agree with john, since it's clear that the filtering system is causing the slow down. Replace it.

Red face Re: Low water pressure

hmm...okay,it might be possible that you guys have perfect idea..thanks..I am going to replace it..lets see
    Visit this link.. Hidden Content