+ Reply to Thread

Default How to supplement hot water tank

We are planning on adding a 3-piece below grade bath (shower, sink, toilet). The kitchen, two baths, and laundry on the main floor are serviced by the usual electric 60-gallon water heater.

The below grade shower will only be used intermittently, like when our grandkids visit. I hate to supply it with hot water all year round when it'll likely only get used 3-4 weeks. We were thinking about installing a smaller water heater near the shower that can be turned off when not needed, sort of like in an RV. I would like to keep hot water to the sink, however. Any thoughts?

Default Re: How to supplement hot water tank

Why would you not connect it to your existing water heater? Just being connected to another fixture doesn't increase the operating of the water heater if the fixture isn't be used.

John

I am concerned that our tank may not be able to keep up with the demand when the house is crowded. We don't run out of hot water now but there's just two of us, washing machine, dishwasher, and a dog who seldom showers.

I think you're over worried. A 60 gal tank is good size. Adding a shower and sink to the hot line won't cause shortages. If the demand for hot water increases when you have guests, just use the basement shower when the other bathrooms are not in use, and the water heater had a chance to recover.

You can always raise the water heater temperature by 5-10 degrees at that time. By doing so, whoever takes a shower will use less hot water and more cold water in the mix.

If there are just two of you using a 60 gal. water heater you should not be running out of hot water. It sounds like the lower element may not be working and your not heating the full 60 gallons.

John

I guess I'm overthinking it. We don't run out of hot water now. Guess I shouldn't worry about a solution for a problem that may not happen.

Thanks to all for your responses!

A couple of thoughts:
    Don't run the washer (especially) & dishwasher when people are showering
    Any shower longer than 10 or 15 minutes gets a bang on the door and an invocation to hurry up.
    60 gallon wh is a pretty good size & should usually keep up unless everybody showers & washes clothes at the same time.