+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Floor Problems

Default Re: Floor Problems

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    You have a framing issue, so go ahead and invite a few experienced framing contractors/general contractors to look and estimate. They will know what to look for, you don't have to tell them what to look at.

The causes are unknown at this point, but once the joists are rebuilt, replaced or beefed up, you should have a nice flat floor.
    Is there any possibility of saving the original floor boards or is it just standard that they will need to be replaced? Maybe it's something that is decided based on the amount of bowing?

Let me get this right, its a two story house over a basement, the first floor is level, but the second floor has the bow in it. The next question is is this house a post and beam framed house? when you are on the first floor, can you see the beams of the second floor? If you can't, do you have a plaster or sheetrock ceiling? Are the first floor ceiling pretty low or do you live in the South and have high ceilings?

If my first statement is correct and you have a plaster or sheet rock ceiling, do you have any problems with tearing out the ceiling? A contractor may be able to fix the problem from the first floor so that the second floor floorboards will not be disturbed, but you will need a new ceiling on the first floor. You might find some nice beams holding up the second floor and you may not want to replace the ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    Let me get this right, its a two story house over a basement, the first floor is level, but the second floor has the bow in it. The next question is is this house a post and beam framed house? when you are on the first floor, can you see the beams of the second floor? If you can't, do you have a plaster or sheetrock ceiling? Are the first floor ceiling pretty low or do you live in the South and have high ceilings?

If my first statement is correct and you have a plaster or sheet rock ceiling, do you have any problems with tearing out the ceiling? A contractor may be able to fix the problem from the first floor so that the second floor floorboards will not be disturbed, but you will need a new ceiling on the first floor. You might find some nice beams holding up the second floor and you may not want to replace the ceiling.
    I'm not sure what a "post and beam" framed house is...I'll look it up in a minute. But we cannot see the beams of the second floor from the first floor. The ceilings on both levels are pretty low. We do have some kind of plaster ceiling and I would honestly rather tear that out and fix the floor from below. I didn't know that was an option! Cool!! I will definitely ask the contractors what they think about that approach. Thanks for the tip!!

I am wondering if someone removed a load bearing wall.

If this is true, you need to get a framing contractor in there or an engineer.

I don't think so. It is a very simple layout...basically 4 boxes, 2 on top, 2 on the bottom with a staircase in the middle. I'm sure there is a name for the style but I'm not familiar enough with 19th century architecture to know what. I would call it colonial I guess. Anyway, any load bearing wall would have cut through a fireplace or made the rooms 4 ft wide.