+ Reply to Thread

Default Forced Hot Air noise

I have a forced hot air system that has a metal plenum that extends to a 24X18 inch vent in my family room that serves as a return. The problem I have is that when the blower it transfers the sound of the blower as well as any other sound and vibration that comes from the heater. Is there any way to reduce the noise level?

Default Re: Forced Hot Air noise

Quote Originally Posted by jdominic View Post
    I have a forced hot air system that has a metal plenum that extends to a 24X18 inch vent in my family room that serves as a return. The problem I have is that when the blower it transfers the sound of the blower as well as any other sound and vibration that comes from the heater. Is there any way to reduce the noise level?
    Do you only have the one return air? You didn't say if it came right off the furnace. If so, I would reroute (add) some ductwork and put some "bends" in it.
    You could add another return air to "divide" the noise.
    Also, put a flex connection on the drop.

Default Re: Forced Hot Air noise

The first thing you might want to do is check the blower and make sure it's in there secure. If you have PM's done yearly, the tech that did yours may not have tightened all the screws or may have lost one. If you don't have PM's done you should think about calling an HVAC Co. and getting one done or doing it yourself. It could be a really dirty squirrel cage that's causing the vibration, also check it for runout by spinning it by hand, you'll also get a loss of CFM's. By the way all this is done with the power off. If that's not it then you want to check the return itself and make sure it's secure, you could also put a divider vertically at the midway point of the 24 inches to stiffen it up some. You could also insulate your return and that should dampen the noise some. Good Luck!!!
    Last edited by Sten; 02-06-2010 at 09:10 AM.