+ Reply to Thread

Default looking for a tool to sift sand.

I am putting down a bed of sand for a kids pool. I have a good amount of sand but it have all kinds of rock and small stones in it along with clay and mulch. Is there any tool or idea that anyone has to sift out all the stuff so we don't put a hole in the pool. I was using an old window screen but it kept on getting clogged.

Default Re: looking for a tool to sift sand.

nicks:

You can make up a tool similar to the screen you've been using by going to Home Depot/Lowe's or other hardware store and purchase a small length of HARDWARE CLOTH with the proper hole-spacing diameter----you can make up a small wood box frame out of scrap 2 X 4s or better, 2 X 6s and nail the hardware cloth to the frame ( heavy U staples, used in electrical work to secure Romex wiring to framing can be bought at the same store); some people use thin steel strips with holes to attach the HC with bolts to the bottom of the box frame for better support, or follow Spruce's suggestion for attaching the HC to the wood frame to avoid ripping the HC; hardware cloth is a sturdy steel woven mesh with various spacing diameters of 1/8", 1/4", 1/2", etc.

Place the finished box/screen tool over a wheelbarrow or large bucket/barrel & sift the rough sand with a gloved hand or small piece of wood to separate the rough stones from the fine sand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghSee5T9BTo
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...A-Dirt-Sifter/
    http://www.organicgardening.com/lear...mpost-screener
    http://www.hobbyfarms.com/farm-equip...il-sifter.aspx
    Last edited by von_steuben; 08-09-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Agreed, make your own sifting boxes with hardware cloth. I would recommend at least two, maybe three sizes, starting with 1/4", then 1/8", then get yourself some aluminum screen for the last screen.

When you attach the hardware cloth to your frame, the best way to do it is to wrap it around the frame. Place the frame in the middle of the material, then fold the sides up, over, and into the frame, then secure the loose end as deeply as possible so that the raw edges of the material are not prone to tearing up your hands. By wrapping the frame you will get far better support and less prone to tear/damage the screen.

The reason for the differing sizes is so that you don't clog up your screens, yet still get the sand completely clean. You can also probably stack the screens and do the sifting in one motion, stopping periodically to empty the debris.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If you sift long enough, some people come up with pretty colored stones, lost wedding rings, buried g0ld nuggets, jade, or rare old coins.

Dammit! the only thing I've ever uncovered is old dog poop!
    Last edited by von_steuben; 08-08-2012 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by von_steuben View Post
    If you sift long enough, some people come up with pretty colored stones, lost wedding rings, buried g0ld nuggets, jade, or rare old coins.

Silly, you're supposed to dig at the beach, not the abandoned sandbox in the backyard.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

This guy sifted one time, he found a nice ring, but since it wasn't his - he returned it.

One of nicest tools I have found for a small project is the Equi-Tee Shake'n Fork, a small powered rake that automatically sifts the sand.

It is battery powered and is perfect for this kind of job. Compared to walk behind machines, it seems reasonably priced at $289.00, but if your job is smaller you might try their non powered sifting rake. It has a screened basket and can manually be agitated to separate the small debris, however it is important that the sand be totally dry.
    Both of these tools were used to clean beach sands during the BP oil spill, and golf courses also use them to dress up sand bunkers which have become contaminated.
    I hope this helps. Search Equiteemfg

Quote Originally Posted by von_steuben View Post

You're definitely right about that! It's no treasure hunt at all.