+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy cracked plaster ceilings/wallpapered ceilings

What do I do about cracks in the ceilings of a 1926 house new to us? Also all the bedroom ceilings are papered and some cracked. The house is an inheritance to us so I want to finish it nice but have little funds to do so. Floors and moldings are absolutely gorgeous!!!!

Default Re: cracked plaster ceilings/wallpapered ceilings

If you're on a budget, the only way you can save money is if you do it yourself.

But since you don't know how to, you're going to have to learn. Making walls smooth is not only an craft, it's also the result of a lot of experience. Don't start before you watch videos on youtube and watch a pro at work. Without the proper knowledge, you'll lose time and money and will say: "I could have hired a pro and be done with it". Good luck.

Thanks for the info..I've just watched some and learned a lot...plus I seen my dad at work and I do appreciate quality work!

Smile Re: cracked plaster ceilings/wallpapered ceilings

Quote Originally Posted by kwebb View Post
    Thanks for the info..I've just watched some and learned a lot...plus I seen my dad at work and I do appreciate quality work!
    can you pls tell me what you have done for your old ceiling,

pls advice me,what should i do for my existing old ceiling ( 30 years, appears with so many cement patches) to look better, with low budget.

Yoou can bond and replaster the ceiling.

To repair small plaster cracks that do not show the old lath, follow these steps (do a small crack in the least seen area to practice, and to ensure that the materials you are using are compatible with the plaster you have).

1. Remove any loose plaster with a masonry chisel/wire brush. Don't be afraid here, any extra scratching will just help the new plaster bond to the old plaster.

2. You could try Sheetrock all-purpose joint compound to repair (it's easier to use than conventional plaster), but for conventional plaster, I prefer to mix my own plaster.

3. You'll need to wet the plaster crack several times, so the old plaster doesn't suck the moisture out of the new plaster and cause it to dry prematurely, and then crack (that would put you back to square one). Use a paint brush and be liberal about it. There shouldn't be any water on the surface when you apply the plaster. Alternatively, you could use a plaster bonder (like USG plaster bonder) to prepare the surface.

4. Use a narrow spatula and a hawk (wet the hawk down so the plaster doesn't stick). Use a finish plaster. It will be easier for you to buy a pre-mixed finish plaster that only requires the addition of water, because a lot goes into mixing your own...try USG red top finish plaster. Make sure it only requires the addition of water, some of the names of plaster are called similar names, but aren't the same...

For large plaster cracks, you'll need to do more than what I've mentioned.

As for the wallpaper, you can remove it, which is another post for someone else...

You can then replaster over the surface. It's a lot more work to redo the plaster surface, but not impossible. That's for another post also...

Quote Originally Posted by LindaRodriguez View Post
    Cracks usually cause either by shrinking plaster or constant heavy weight on the floor above, unlikely the house will fall down

shop.vitcas.com
    Could it also be a substantial structural problem? Like the house shifting or settling? It sounds like a old home.