+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Water-damaged exterior wall

Come to think of it, is there any real reason to replace sheathing that's inside the house, or should I only be concerned with the sheathing on areas that back up to the siding?

I neglected to mention that because that stud bay I opened up is in the corner, I can't go to the next stud bay to the right when replacing the sill plate, since there isn't one. Presumably I'd just replace it all the way to the end on that side?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix87ta View Post
    Come to think of it, is there any real reason to replace sheathing that's inside the house, or should I only be concerned with the sheathing on areas that back up to the siding?
    I neglected to mention that because that stud bay I opened up is in the corner, I can't go to the next stud bay to the right when replacing the sill plate, since there isn't one. Presumably I'd just replace it all the way to the end on that side?
    you only need to replace the damaged sheathing and sill plate. My earlier comments were based on the damage being beyond the studs that we can see, obviously, if there isn't any material past that point, then there will be nothing to replace.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I wouldn’t try to fix this myself. Call a pro and get the job done right to save further damage.

As a matter of fact, my father and I started the job Saturday afternoon and just completed the job this afternoon. The access through the siding was far better than I expected, and most of it was quite easy.

We also figured out how the damage occurred in the first place. The roof on that first floor cuts right into the siding on the second. Whoever installed the roof did a great job with the flashing along the roof line...right up until the last couple inches that had no flashing whatsoever, allowing a slow but steady stream of water to trickle in over ~40 years.

Glad to have it finished, and thanks for all the advice A. Spruce. It was exceedingly helpful.

Glad to have it finished, and thanks for all the advice A. Spruce. It was exceedingly helpful.
    You are most welcome. Glad you were able to figure out the problem and do the repairs yourself. Sometimes all you need is a little guidance.

Thanks for coming back with an update.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!