+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Water-damaged exterior wall

So while remodeling a room, I've discovered that one of the exterior walls of my home has a hole in it that has apparently allowed water to get in and has rotted the plywood in the wall pretty badly. However, the damage is limited to the space between the corner and the first stud in the wall.

A neighbor has suggested simply filling the hole with spray insulation, cutting a new piece of plywood slightly larger than the damaged area, and securing it from the inside with liquid nails and coarse drywall screws. While it's appealing as a cheap fix, I don't think it's the best solution, but I'm not sure how to go about repairing it properly. Any suggestions? Pictures can be taken if they're helpful.

Default Re: Water-damaged exterior wall

photos will help.

Seems I'm having a problem doing that. I can't add links to my posts yet, and attempting to lower the size and quality of the images sufficiently to allow them to upload here eliminates virtually all of the detail. Will have to see if I can come up with another way to deal with it.

Send a private message to JLMCDANIEL, he will post them for you.

A bandaid approach may be acceptable, however, keep in mind that if the water was leaking from the outside and you only see a small spot on the inside, there will likely be extensive rot on the other side of the panel that you can't see.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Heh. Can't send private messages either, as my post count isn't high enough. Any other suggestions?

Photobucket.com?

Others have used it and it worked.

Already have the images hosted, but I don't have the post count to allow me to add links to my posts on this board. Need 10 posts before I'm able to do that, apparently.

imgur.com/a/ddRnh#0

Ah, that did it. Okay, pictures are linked in my last post. Let me know if you need more pictures or questions answered, but I'd really love to know how to deal with this problem.

I saw your pictures, and even though they are limited, I can tell that you have damage large enough to be ignored.

I also can tell you that your damage extends to the next studs, on the right and on the left, so you'll have to remove more drywall.

What the pictured don't show is the sill plate. I'm afraid it's damaged too.

You're looking at replacemen of damaged/rotted lumber, cleaning and reconstruction. Don't do what your neighbor suggests - it would be like filling a tooth cavity without cleaning out the decay.

If you need help here, hire a pro and do it right. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    What the pictured don't show is the sill plate. I'm afraid it's damaged too.
    It's there, it's just hard to see in the fuzzy picture. I also see damage to the floor. So the tally as I see it is:

1 - Damage plywood sheathing across at least 3 stud bays.
    2 - Likely damaged studs.
    3 - Damaged sill plate
    4 - Damaged flooring
    5 - Damaged sub-floor

With the damage we can see, I also suspect that the damage extends into areas we can't, such as:

6 - Damaged rim joist and/or floor joists below the subfloor
    7 - Damaged siding
    8 - Significantly more plywood sheathing damage than the 3 known stud bays due to water following the back of the siding and being trapped between the siding and the sheathing.

What is likely going to happen is that you will get bids for what is visible, with the stipulation that once the area is adequately opened up for further inspection, the total damage can be assessed and total repair cost provided.

Get at least three bids and choose the company you hire by how trustworthy you think they and the information they give you is, do not hire based solely on price.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!