+ Reply to Thread

Default Cement Board for Show / Tub Area Questions?

I have an old house and I am wondering when I replace my tub, do I put the tub in place and put the Cement Board (Durarock) over and outside the lip edge of the tub or how does it work if my house does not have that Cement Board (DuraRock) there now? I understand it is used behind tile and wet / dry locations. I need to replace my cast iron Tub and just trying to do it right. Not up on Bath Room Remodels but I need to get it started soon. Any info would be welcome. Is it like drywall just used behind the Tile areas of a shower / Bath Room. And you put the tile over that and match the tile up with the top edge of the bath tub? And groute it in and then chaulk the space between the tub and the tile for expansion and contraction?

MMeehan

Default Re: Cement Board for Show / Tub Area Questions?

You can get answers to all your questions at john Bridge tile forum, and tell them that HOUSTON sent you.

Thanks DJ

That's my answer all right; head on over to the JOhn Bridge Tile Forum to get all your answers specific to your particular house and which waterproofing method you elect to use.

FWIW; cement board + tile + grout + sealant is NOT waterproof.

Thanks but redirection was not what I was looking for. And I checked and did not find much on Cement Board there and when I posted here it did not show up. Thanks though but I am not much with forums so looks like I will just try and and make a mess or wait till I found someone in person that can shred some light on how and when you use Cement Board and Durarock in an old house. Oh well guess I am not up to the task yet maybe next year when I think I can try and do it since I am not looking to join another forum for some info.

MMeehan

Mmeehan,

If you do a quick search, you can even find answers in this forum. Don't expect answers, directions and education to fall off the sky and land in front of you.

If at any time you feel that you don't want or can't deal with it, you can always hire a tileman, which is what our economy is all about.