+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Floating steps

Default Floating steps

I want to install floating steps in my landscape using steel pipe and concrete. Steps are 5' wide, 4" thick oak slabs (treated and water sealed)... How do I anchor the bottomside only of the step to the steel pipes filled with cement? What brackets/screws would work best?

Default Re: Floating steps

Are you using the pipe vertically like a post support or horizontally like a rail? Is any of this going to be in contact with the ground?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Pipes will be installed vertically with a 6" clearance between ground and bottom step.

If the pipes are threaded, the easiest thing to use would be a flange screwed onto the threads. If no threads, then you can drill the pipe and bolt pieces of angle iron to the top, or preferably, weld tabs to the pipes.

This project sounds like an ankle breaker waiting to happen, I would recommend proceeding with caution and examine how these floating steps will be used and by whom.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I suggest you go back to your drawing board. What you are describing or trying to describe is pretty unsafe. I wouldn't put my feet on these steps.