+ Reply to Thread

Exclamation Fencepost extension

Can someone please give me abit of advice how's the best way to attach a wood fencepost extension? I've had to rebuild parts of the fence to keep my dogs in and add height to keep vandals out. I have a section of 10' long X 4' high picket fence that is connected to the neighbor's 8' privacy fence. Anywho, my side of new fence will be raised to 6' and the corner has a gothic style finial that will hold the 4x4 24" extension (it has a finial). Should I cut that off and use a metal brace or cut wood braces and screw them into the top rail? I also read to make shiplap cuts as the means of support. I'd appreciate any input - this is my first fence to fix. thanks!

Default Re: Fencepost extension

To have a 6' tall wood fence, you first have to frame it for that purpose. That means, extensions are usually flimsy and won't keep a dog safely.

This is the way I'd do it, to have a secure, solid attractive fence:

The one side is connected to the neighbor's fence. How is his fence? solid? Is that fence 6' tall too? I really prefer to have a post here.

If you have a gate: The other side needs a PT 4x4x8 post with 2' in concrete in the ground and 6' above grade to support the fence (make sure it's rated for ground contact). If you don't have a gate, and you connect this side to the house, you can use a 2x4 bolted into studs instead.

Run 3 leveled horizontal 2x4x10 members (top, middle and bottom) from the post to the other side.

Fasten your fence boards/pickets to these horizontal 2x4s. Each board/picket should have enough fasteners to secure it in place.

Smile Re: Fencepost extension

It's hard to describe the fence w/o photos, dernit. Her fence is 8ft high, solid at that point - she recently had a gate installed so our fences join perpendicular at her gate/corner. Hers hooks to her house. If you look at it from above it looks like a stairstep from house-house. My fence is bolted into a 6' post at the house. The rails are ok so I just removed all the pickets and reattached closer for privacy, added a top rail & the top boards to match the bottom section. I removed the old rotten gate, I'm building a double-gate (2x wide as the old) so I installed a 8' post 2' deep to attach -like you said -it's secure w/concrete now. Yes it's treated (I know what a headache rotted lumber is!) Then I'll add the new top rail & boards on that side to match. So back to the "?": in order to make the fence fit the frame, I should remove the corner post and concrete and start from scratch? UGH. Not meaning to seem lazy, just didn't know how secure a post extension really is. I'm glad I didn't go buy more parts.. I'm ready to buck up and get at it at 6 a.m.! (whatwith this heat) It's already taken me 4 days. The dogs are only 33 pounds - their bark is worse.. LOL thanks for help!
    Last edited by tfrenos; 08-06-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: simple idea

Default Re: Fencepost extension

It looks like you're on your way.

Are the dogs 33 lbs each or 33 lbs all together?

Smile Re: Fencepost extension

Abby is 31 pounds, English Setter/Sheltie mix and Sasha is 33 pounds, hound/Sheltie mix - mamma was a Sheltie. They are little Houdinis so fixing this fence was a must since I live on a busy street. Thanx for your advice! I've got a 5:30 a.m. appointment with that dern fence, goodnite all!