+ Reply to Thread

Default Garage Door Opener sensors

Hi all, I am refurbishing a Chamberlain "Power Lift" from 1997. I can't figure out where the safety sensor terminals are, seeing that it has four screws on the back, two being used for the wall push button. When I tried the two remaining terminals for the sensor eyes, nothing happened. After putting the sensor eyes over the push button terminals, both green LED's on the sensors lit up but the operator did not respond the way it should have. Yes, this operator does require safety sensors as it was built after 1993 and will not operate the full length of the rail with out reversing. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Default Re: Garage Door Opener sensors

Liftmaster is now the name of the company.

Go to their website and fill in the information to get your particular instruction manual.

If you don't have your manual, you can call Chambertain's customer service help line (800-528-9131) with your model number.

- If you have RED and WHITE to the wall switch, connect them first.
    - If you have WHITE and GRAY-WHITE or RED-WHITE from the sensors, twist each two same colors together. The two whites will go to the white (right next to the white from the wall switch) and the two gray-white will go to the last spot.

I too have the same problem but the number 800-528-9131 says busy whenever dialed.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrymontana View Post
    I too have the same problem but the number 800-528-9131 says busy whenever dialed.
    Help the economy and call a local tech to fix it.

I'm no tradesman, but here goes . . .

Chamberlain is the consumer brand; I bought one last in 2005 from Lowe's (assembled in Mexico). Liftmaster is the contractor brand (same manufacturer). Don't know if they differ in quality, but you can tell from which sales channel it was purchased.

If you can't get the exact manual via the web, try getting ANY Chamberlain manual (if able to, work back to around that time period). Look at the wiring panel diagrahms and see if they are common or follow some pattern. If the wiring is wrong, it just won't work and you won't fry the electrical or electronics. My guess is that the big difference is additional wire punches for additional wired controllers. The outside number controler is just another RF device so it won't need wire punches.

The RF controllers are different -- I have 3 Liftmasters and 2 are not compatable with the 3rd; I haven't tried looking for re-programming directions.

Also, hire a tech ??. . . you pays your money and takes your chances.
    I just had a Yelp rated garage door guy replaced a broken lift spring. It was a hot day and charged me $340 (the spring was $80 next day delivery). I was a happy camper until the door wouldn't open 2 days later; he quickly came back and made a 2nd fix while my wife was at home. The fix was good until a week later I noticed one edge of the door is now 1-2" above the ground when closed (critters can party in my garage). WTF.

On the 3 Liftmasters in my current house (being Liftmasters, they were contractor installed, and built around 2000-04), the installers attached the sensor eyes to the motor case - - it appears the SOB's didn't want to run the obstruction sensor wires to the door frame bottoms, and they probably couldn't bypass the sensors by jump wiring, so they had them pointed to each other on the motor housing case. WTF. The old lady who lived there until 2004 wouldn't know the difference .. . or so they thought.
    Last edited by t_manero; 09-05-2012 at 09:38 AM.

I figured it all out. To anyone recommending that I call Chamberlain, I am aware that they don't offer information on pre-1995 openers. Any operator with more than three electrical terminals will not have safety sensors. It turned out that the unit was reversing because the down force was too low.