+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Floor help

Default New Floor help

Due to cracks, holes and hills and valleys in our flooring, my wife and I are wanting to replace the old tongue & groove oak flooring in our home with new tongue & groove oak flooring. We discovered that the entire house has no subfloor, including under the outside perimeter walls, and all are sitting on the old tongue and groove flooring. Our delimma is: Can we remove all the t&g flooring right to the outter walls, leaving that small portion under the wall, leveling by glueing and screwing 2x6 planks to each floor joist, and then adding a 3/4" plywood subfloor. OR, leaving the old floor in place, placing some kind of thin pliable material in layers to bring the valleys up to the highest points in the floor which are the perimeter and embedded floor jacks, and add subfloor and new t&g flooring. Any other ideas would be appreciated as well.

Default Re: New Floor help

First you have to take care of your symptoms, cracks, holes and hills and valleys.

If you remove evrthing down to the joists, and if you want your new floor to be the same height as the old floor, then 2x6 may not be good.

If I got your numbers right, you had 2 floors and no subfloor (1-1/2" high). Therefore, a 3/4" subfloor and new T&G floor (also 3/4") are all you need, plus of course the moisture barrier.