+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default A concrete patio, good idea?

I need to replace a wood patio that is becoming a safety concern and don't have a lot of money to do it. I like low maintenance, able to withstand high traffic and easy to clean off. We have two small children that like to play out there, chickens, and trees that drop stuff year round.
    I would love pavers or some type of stone, but they are expensive and we live in an area with very sandy soil so patios I have seen don't seem to settle well over time here.
    I have come to think that a concrete slab (while not aesthetically the best) would be best for us. But I wanted to ask if there is anything I haven't thought of before we pour a large area of concrete that would be difficult to remove.
    I have some smallish river stone that I was going to use to set in the concrete around the edges to give it some aesthetic appeal. Not sure if that is a good idea either.

Default Re: A concrete patio, good idea?

Concrete pours need to be done all at the same time, not bag by mixed bag.

How were you fixin' to pour the area?

How large an area we talkin about?

You don't have to just have plain old concrete, you can have a pattern stamped and stained into it, giving it some life and appeal. You can also form patterns and use different colors of concrete to make a mosaic of sorts.

I'm not a big fan of rocks as borders or as ground cover, they're just not aesthetic and they're a real pain in the patootie to keep weeded and cleaned.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Masonry is your best choice.

Concrete, in any of the mentioned styles, is a good choice.

There is another choice, since you mentioned that: you want something that you could move and something for less money: red or used bricks in sand. With bricks you could lay them yourself - and save. And there are a few patterns to make them really attractive.

What's important with bricks is the prep work, to assure smooth surface and the edging to stop bricks from travelling.

Thanks for the replies.
    It is a large area, maybe 200 sq feet along the side of the house, in kindof an L shape. I was planing on having a professional pour it. Adds to the cost, but I don't think we can do such a large area ourself. I like stamped patios I have seen but heard that they require more maintenance. Yearly sealing that is hard to do yourself?
    I like the brick idea too. Thanks! I will look into that.

Concrete slabs in deep freeze, cold climates have their own set of problems.They are subject to frost heaving and cracking. A good gravel base with drainage underneath is critical if such problems are to be avoided.