+ Reply to Thread

Thread: vibrating pipes

Hybrid View

Default vibrating pipes

Hello; a couple months ago we had our hot water tank replaced. Immediately following, every time we turn on the hot water at our bathroom sink, the pipes vibrate quite a bit; it stops when the cold water is turned on. Also, at the kitchen sink, the water takes 3 seconds to stop after you turn it off. Seems unrelated and it may be, but never happened before and happened immediately after, to this day. Now we had a couple of sections of drainpipe replaced in the basement and the vibrating pipes are happening from a toilet flush as well (vibrates until tank fills or cold water is turned on). Any idea what is going on and why these seemingly unrelated repairs are causing (or not causing)) this? Too much coincidence for me to buy at this point. Thanks.

Default Re: vibrating pipes

Generally, water pipes vibrate because of inadequate pastening to the house framing.

can you tell us why you replaced the water heater? rusty water? leaking tank? malfunction? odor? not enough hot water? or was it low water pressure?

Talking Re: vibrating pipes

Definitely lack of fastening to your sturcture. You can do a little test. Have someone upstairs turn on and off the water while you are in the basement to locate where the sound is coming from. Typically its coming from some of the water pipes. Once you locate the you can get a product called J-hooks at your local hardware store you just need to know the size of your water pipes when you buy these hooks. It is a very inexpensive fix. As far as your faucet goes there is probably debris in you faucet from the water heater changeout. Again pretty easy fix then again I am a plumber. You would need to know how to take out your kitchen sink faucet cartridge to fix this!

Default Re: vibrating pipes

I had this exact same problem in my house. I'm assuming the hot water tank died while the property was for sale because there was a brand new 23 gallon water heater here (for a house with 4 bathrooms).

We switched it out for a much larger capacity water heater and afterward, we had rattling pipes, too. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm guessing that because of the larger volume tank, the water pressure was slightly different. It wasn't noticeable, but it was enough to make pipes start hammering in the kitchen and the bathroom nearest the tank.

My solution was to leave it alone because I planned to remodel the kitchen and that bathroom anyway. Once remodeling time came around, I found that the bathroom had no stub-ups at all and the pipes in the kitchen weren't fastened to anything.

During the remodels, I put stub-ups on the bathroom pipes and fastened the pipes in the kitchen. Problem solved.