+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dripping pipe

Default Dripping pipe

My ceiling is open right now from where the old galvanized pipes were replaced with pvc. Some of the galvanized was left in the walls. There is an open T joint of old cruddy galvanized hanging down, which occasionally drips a drop or so of water. Why is this? If it's disconnected, where is the water coming from? Would capping it solve my problem? Need to know before I patch my ceiling.

Default Re: Dripping pipe

Don't patch anything yet.

You are so ready for a re-pipe job. Putting it off will only cost you more.

Get estimates from experienced re-pipe plumbers and get it done.

Your water will be cleaner, your water pressure will be better, you won't have leaks, you won't have any wood/drywall damages and you'll save money.

By the way, the reason why you have leaks now is corrosion and your galvanized pipes must go.

You are misunderstanding. We did have the all the supply lines re piped for all of the reasons you mentioned. This galvanized is an open t joint that looks like it is built into the concrete floor of the bathroom, so it couldn't be taken out. And now I'm getting an occasional drip from it even though it is disconnected.

Oh I see...just excess water in the old pipe. Cap it.

Water has to be coming from somewhere. Two possibles, pipe connected to something or condensation. If condensation, fill with silicon caulk to prevent moist air from getting in. If connected to something, need to see what.

Quote Originally Posted by kcb View Post
    Water has to be coming from somewhere. Two possibles, pipe connected to something or condensation. If condensation, fill with silicon caulk to prevent moist air from getting in. If connected to something, need to see what.
    I doubt that a/c techs used galvanized pipe for condensation line, but it won't hurt to find out.

More likely it's an abandoned galvanized water pipe, which has some left over water in it.