+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadbolt lock

Smile Deadbolt lock

Hi I have an old almost flush mounted lock on my wooden door. However to install a new deadbolt with 2 1/8" diameter how can I cut the hole bigger to make the new lock fit. I have a bit with the right diameter but easy way to hold in place to cut out existing hole. Thanks

Default Re: Deadbolt lock

Cut a new hole in some scrap 3/4" lumber. CLamp that piece of wood to the door and use that as a guide for the new drill bit

That's right, you just need to 'fill' the hole so that your 2-1/8" saw doesn't move.

dj you are saying cut a piece of wood to the old diameter by gluing in place? then cutting after it drys?

Yes, that should work.

If your 2-1/8" saw cuts too rough, for obvious reasons, buy a large cover plate to use with the new lock, to cover any imperfections.

Quote Originally Posted by Roybldg43 View Post
    dj you are saying cut a piece of wood to the old diameter by gluing in place? then cutting after it drys?

That would be the hard way, the easy way is as above, dill your hole in a piece of 1 by materiqal and clamp it to the door as a guide.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Make that 3 votes for using Houston's method. It will be the easiest. One major precaution will be to make sure that your setback is correct, don't just enlarge the hole where it's at. The set back is the distance from the edge of the door to the center line of the hole.

What I would recommend is a scrap of 1x6 or plywood. Draw a line across the face in the center of the board and down the front edge (from face to back ). Mark your setback on this reference line and drill your hole. What you should have when you are finished is a template plate that will guide your hole saw through the door.

Clamp the template to the door with the front edge of the template flush with the edge of the door. The line you drew across the leading edge of the template will be aligned with the center line of the bolt (hole in edge of door that holds the bolt that engages the jamb to hold the door closed ).

As long as your reference lines on the template are square to the leading edge of the template, then you will be drilling the hole in the right location.

These instructions are assuming that you're using a hole saw and not a Forstner bit. A hole saw will allow you to use the template in this manner, a Forstner bit won't.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Nobody around here can give an answer as clear as Spruce!

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Nobody around here can give an answer as clear as Spruce!
    I don't like to brag, but that's because nobody is as good as I am.

If I don't have the right answer, you're not asking the right questions!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    I don't like to brag, but that's because nobody is as good as I am.

If I don't have the right answer, you're not asking the right questions!
    Spruce, let us do the roasting and praising...