+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mag-Light

Default Mag-Light

I have an old Mag-Light, which has given me pretty good service. The other day I wanted to use it, but guess what, it did't work.

I wanted to replace the batteries, but they didn't come out. Needless to say I was upset at Duracell and Mag-Light, even though I keep a bunch of other flashlights around.

I also contacted Mag-Light, which said that they are going to stand by their long expired warranty. I'm not surprised at all by their gesture, after all they have the reputation of excellence in flashlights.

Has anyone else experienced a similar situation?

Default Re: Mag-Light

I've never had any problems with either my Mag-Lites or the Duracell batteries I use in them. In 20 years I've only had a couple of bulbs burn out, which were cheaply and easily replaced.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I wanted to replace the batteries, but they didn't come out. Needless to say I was upset at Duracell and Mag-Light, even though I keep a bunch of other flashlights around.

I also contacted Mag-Light, which said that they are going to stand by their long expired warranty. I'm not surprised at all by their gesture, after all they have the reputation of excellence in flashlights.

Has anyone else experienced a similar situation?
    My batteries (all US or Japan manuf) always leaked when left in a device whether it's a remote control or a clock . . . . you must have not used the Mag for over 1 year.

I'm guessing the leaked battery acid glued the batteries in and may have even effected metal pieces in the circuit loop.

I believe Mag-Lite is one of the few companies still fabricating their products in the US, and they're in your neck of the country, SoCal.

Had you been able to get the batteries out, you would have tried a Q-tip w/ baking soda/mositure to clean the metal parts, right? It leaves a white soda power residue, but it's harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by t_manero View Post
    My batteries (all US or Japan manuf) always leaked when left in a device whether it's a remote control or a clock . . . . you must have not used the Mag for over 1 year.

I'm guessing the leaked battery acid glued the batteries in and may have even effected metal pieces in the circuit loop.

I believe Mag-Lite is one of the few companies still fabricating their products in the US, and they're in your neck of the country, SoCal.

Had you been able to get the batteries out, you would have tried a Q-tip w/ baking soda/mositure to clean the metal parts, right? It leaves a white soda power residue, but it's harmless.
    Thanks t_manero,

I did try the baking sode solution, to no avail. Being close to Ontario, CA, I will take adventage of the offer they gave me, and trade this old flashlight with a new one. Who knows, with a little more luck, they might give me an LED flashlight in trade...

I have had this happen to me on numerous occasions. I have quite a few Mag-Lites from 2D to 6D models and several AA's. I can usually beat the batteries out, it doesn't seem to hurt the case at all, then clean out the mess, put in new batteries and I'm good to go.

I have learned to remove the batteries in the flashlights that I don't use very often and keep them in a box for emergencies. I only keep batteries in two of the flashlights that I use on a regular basis. I have also converted most of them to LED. They are incredibly bright.
    Last edited by keith3267; 08-03-2012 at 04:27 PM. Reason: spelling

I was walking through Home Burrito one day and they were blowing out 10 packs of LED flashlights for $5 each. Store SKU # 118004 they are now $10 a pack. I bought a few packs and have flashlights everywhere; car, truck, tool box, tool trailer, cars, camper, around the house. We do a lot of camping and they are pretty darn handy. So far not one has burned out and I still have more unopened.

Houston,

Harbor Freight has been giving flashlights, like the ones you got at HD, for free (with an ad coupon). These lights are fine, because of their compact size and bright LED illumination.

In 2006 I went to China, and I noticed those lights, which were sold everywhere. I got a couple of dozen of them, and gave them away as gifts. The funny thing is that I paid more than a buck each...Since then I went to China again and noticed the "new and improved" versions. I got the ones you can hang and the ones which are good for when you work under a sink.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Houston,

Harbor Freight has been giving flashlights, like the ones you got at HD, for free (with an ad coupon). These lights are fine, because of their compact size and bright LED illumination.

In 2006 I went to China, and I noticed those lights, which were sold everywhere. I got a couple of dozen of them, and gave them away as gifts. The funny thing is that I paid more than a buck each...Since then I went to China again and noticed the "new and improved" versions. I got the ones you can hang and the ones which are good for when you work under a sink.
    I first bought them at Frye's (Calif) for $4, then for about a buck last Christmas. The Harbor Freight one looks exactly the same. The problem is that I have several where the push button or inside spring went out of alignment, and brightness would be variable. I probably threw out a lot of AAA batteries not knowing whether the batteries were dead or some contact was out of alignment causing low bightness. They have 9 LED's.
    Frye's 16 LED (also 3 AAA) light is nice & compact and the switch seems more reliable (for $2 during Christmas).
    If only someone would take these cheap LED light boards and merge them with a nice machined tube body, Mag-Lite would need to be worried about competition.

When Duracell was known as Mallory Coppertop,and before Ray-o-Vac & Everready were bought & sold 10-times by private equity, they had a leak guaranty -- any device damaged by leaking batteries was to be replaced.

PS Speaking of China -- I remember paying $15-$20 for an enclosed CFL 20 years ago; it was the only way to get white light (EVERYTHING was warm 2700k). GE & Philips made FL40 and 22/32 circulines in the US, but the CFL's were mostly made in Japan as a high end product. Some guy in China found a cheaper way to make spiral glass and the rest is history. But I'm sure too many of their workers are getting exposed to mercury to pay for the $3 CFL's.
    Last edited by t_manero; 08-07-2012 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Addition.

t_manero,

They make unbelievable flashlights nowadays in China, run on larger batteries (some are rechargeable), with 27 LEDs and more, for less than $10.

The welfare of the common Chinese worker is a totally different issue.

Mag-light along with a few other American companies actually stand by their products and deserve our support.

It's no wonder people who need a good flashlight (first responders) use them.

Try getting warranty or customer service from China!
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content