+ Reply to Thread

Default New sod browning in the heat

I recently had sod laid a few months ago along with two inches or so of soil that was tilled for the install. Everything was looking good, it was knitting great and growing well. I'm still watering it twice a day, pretty thoroughly early a.m. and early p.m. but now with the 9th heat wave in a row my grass is browning. Watering seems to have little effect. The shadier areas aren't as bad. I live in Southeastern PA (north and west of Philadelphia) and the sod is a blue grass, rye and fescue blend.
    What can I do??? Any help, directions or future plan would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: New sod browning in the heat

From what you are saying, you did not have the proper prep work, because rototilling 2" is just not good enough. A new sod can't survive a summer like the one you're having - it never had a chance to get a root system established. I'm afraid that you're looking at a loss.

Contact local landscapers or the person who installed the sod for help.

I'm sorry I've should have been more clear. I had two inches or fresh soil tilled into my existing dirt. It's sitting on only two inches of soil. Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by JTNuck View Post
    I'm sorry I've should have been more clear. I had two inches or fresh soil tilled into my existing dirt. It's sitting on only two inches of soil. Sorry about that.
    I still suspect that you didn't prepare your yard properly. What did you do exactly, beside tilling 2" of "fresh soil"? What exactly is fresh soil? You need to mix organic fertilizers and top soil with your soil, at least 6" deep, you need to make sure your soil is pH balanced, you have to spread pre-sod pellets and do all the things necessary in your area - before you lay your new sod.

Get a book about this subject and see what you did wrong. A few months is a long enough period for a new lawn to get established and be ready for extreme weather conditions.

Once your new sod dries out, it would take a miracle to revive it.

I think your problem is with the watering. You should not be watering twice a day. That was fine for the first two weeks, but now you should only water it about twice a week, but you should water deep when you water.

Take a trowel or shovel and dig down about 6 to 8 inches. You don't need to dig a hole, just one scoop and leave it on the shovel. If the soil is dry near the bottom, then you are watering too little, too often. Put the dirt back in the hole, water until the moisture reaches to a 6" depth, then don't water for 3 days. repeat twice a week till the end of summer.

If the soil is wet all the way down, you are drowning the sod. Stop watering for three days, then water twice a week, but a good drenching each time. You might want to add a little Nitrogen fertilizer if you have been overwatering, but not very much, just enough for the grass to get back on its feet. About 3# of Blood Meal per 1000 ft2 should do it.

Nuck,

My degree in Landscape Horticulture came from a college right close to you. I can say for sure that laying sod right before the summer heat wasn't a great idea, no matter how much water you throw at it. Its the heat that cooks the grass. With a long root system to help it get by, any sod will die. Late March / early April would have been a better choice than mid summer.

I'd wait until September and re-sod or re-seed. September weather in Montco is the best you'll get for growing grass. Use that cooler weather and rainier time to get the new lawn established before winter sets. Any touch ups can be done in the spring.

Thank you for the replies. I did have the sod laid in April and was doing fine in the spring. Perhaps I was over watering, I'm not sure. I'm also going on a possibility of the type of sod. I'm having spots in the sunny areas and the shady areas, their really is no rhyme or reason. I've raked out the lawn with a metal rake and got out the majority of the dead grass. I drop seeded the entire lawn and the worse areas loosened up the dirt, placed a little fresh soil an seeded. I started this last weekend when it started to cool. I'm also lightly watering to keep the seed wet.
    I do apologize for not thanking everyone sooner, I did not receive any e-mails notifying me if the posts as my account is set to do. Thanks again everyone.