+ Reply to Thread

Default refinished wood floor water base poly then oil base poly

Two many people working on a project... I am refinishing a wood floor. We sanded it, stained it and I used a water based polyurethane for the finish. I had put two coats on but did not have the finish I wanted, so back to the store and picked a 3rd gallon of polyurethane... this was oil based (cans are almost identical)... My husband said he would put the third coat on.. I left. I never looked at the polyurethane. I would have noticed that it was not milky like the water based. We put the oil on top of the water based poly... Do we need to competely refinish the floors... resanding, restaining everything? or will this oil based polyurethane finish be ok.... It is shiny.

Default Re: refinished wood floor water base poly then oil base poly

I think everything should be good. If you have questions, the manufacture would have the best idea. Personally, I would let time tell you if it works or not.

W4W,

The water based and oil based urethanes are generally compatible with one another. The biggest concern is getting good adhesion. If they have cured for more than 12 hours, it is generally a good idea to "screen" or scuff sand them to assure adhesion. However, that is water under the bridge now. If the adhesion of your urethane seems to be OK, I would not worry about it.

Incidentally, I just had my wood floors given a maintenance coat of water based BONA Traffic polyurethane over the original Glitza oil based urethane. They turned out fine.

You should only have to worry if the finish looks cloudy, that would be an indication that you have trapped water in the WB finish.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb