+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default ideas for glass in front door

We have an old craftsman with a large oval (18 * 28) pane of glass in the front door. I love the light but our bedroom door is right next to the front door, and we would like some more privacy. I am not too keen on putting up a curtain there, but I am open to any ideas. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: ideas for glass in front door

Quote Originally Posted by ernstw View Post
    We have an old craftsman with a large oval (18 * 28) pane of glass in the front door. I love the light but our bedroom door is right next to the front door, and we would like some more privacy. I am not too keen on putting up a curtain there, but I am open to any ideas. Thanks in advance.
    Please clarify, you don't want a curtain over the front door window or over your bedroom door? You don't have a door on the bedroom you can close/keep closed?

Cheapest thing would be to mount a fabric curtain over the window itself. You can do something shear or solid and it only has to be over the window. This curtain can also be operable so that it's open when you want it to be and closed when you would prefer that.

Another option would be to overlay the inside of the window with an opaque piece of glass or plexiglass which will still allow light in, yet obscure the view from the outside.

If there is no door on the bedroom, then I would suggest installing one.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

To continue Spruce's second option, you can also install a window tint film, the kind that lets light in but blocks the view from outside in, day or night.

Thanks for the ideas. I try to keep the door to the bedroom closed but with kids running around, it often gets left open or is opened at inopportune moments. I saw those window films ******, how well do they work? Second piece of glass may be the solution for the long term. As a follow up, would you put it in with glaze and points?

Thanks.

Saw the window films on google. Not sure what happened there with prior post.

Quote Originally Posted by ernstw View Post
    Saw the window films on google. Not sure what happened there with prior post.
    The language filters edited out on-line. We have an ongoing spam problem, and it was instituted to help curb some of it.

In answer to your question about putting a second piece of glass in, I would have the glass cut to fit the window area, then use something along the lines of screen clips or mirror clips to hold it in place. This will allow you to take it out for cleaning as needed, as well as moisture won't be able to build up between the panes.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I was also thinking of suggesting spring loaded hinge on the bedroom door, so that it will be kept close although kids running all over. Putting up curtain is also good option. It will add into your room decoration.