+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Exclamation Please Help Me Fix Some Scratches in My Girlfriend's Wood Floor Before She Kills Me!

Greetings people who know way more than I do about this sort of stuff!

I'm in a bit of a pickle here and need some sound advice from the wisest of folks in this area, hence why I turned to This Old House.

Recently, while moving furniture at my girlfriend's house, I accidentally scratched the heck out of the hardwood floors that only 6 months ago, we had sanded, stained and finished ourselves. Naturally, the gf wasn't happy.

I need to fix this ASAP before I wind up on the back of a milk carton.

I would like to post pics to show you, but this forum doesn't allow me to post anything until 10 posts?! What's up with that?!

One of the scratched is more of a "scuff", while the other is a thin, but noticeable gash. They both run about 5 feet! (I know, I'm an idiot).

We used a polyurethane finish if that helps.

Many thanks in advance!!

Matthew

Default Re: Please Help Me Fix Some Scratches in My Girlfriend's Wood Floor Before She Kills

A few light sandings (not as deep as the stain) restricted to the individual boards then re-poly.

Yes she will smell it the moment she walks in. So have dinner cooking. Something with lots of garlic or curry.

Default Re: Please Help Me Fix Some Scratches in My Girlfriend's Wood Floor Before She Kills

6 x 9 oriental rug as a present to her should hide the crime!!

and if it doesn't it will be big enuff for her to roll up your body for disposal!!!

If I were you I would keep some felt sliders around for the next time you needed to move something as they work great on hardwood and tile.
    Best Movers Dallas Hidden Content

Put wood putty in the gash. Once it dries up, sand it down so that its even with the floor. Use matching stain with a small brush to make it look like the rest of the wood flooring. Make sure you stain in the right direction it should align with the original wood grain. When the stain dries, use polyurethane to seal the floor.

Ditto HoustonRemodeler.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

congrats on completely refinishing your own floors by yourself. I'm thinking about doing the same thing to my new house. But anyway, You might consider buffing the entire room and then applying some new poly. TOH has a great how to on buffing if you search for it, and it seems pretty painless. It seems like your gf already knows abotu it since you said she was not happy, but she'll appricate you trying to fix it yourself I'm sure ( I know I would). You might also call a professional for their opinion. And I would definatly get some felt moving pads to just keep under funrite all the time. You can usually find little round ones that stick to the furniture.