+ Reply to Thread

Default 6 panel door joints

Looking for a method to prevent the joints from opening up during humid summer months, which usually prevents the doors from closing. In the past I have glued and clamped them but this lasts only a few years. I've thought about drilling in from the door edge and inserting long screws but I've been told this will not hold either because the screws will be running in the same direction as the grain. If anyone has resolved this problem I'd love hearing about it. Thanks.

Default Re: 6 panel door joints

Two solutions that I know of
    1-drll and install pegs through the door and the tongues.
    2-Use pocket screw, put the pockets in the rails and install the crews so they srew into the stiles. Then plug the pockets.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

You didn't mention how many times this has happened, but if it happened more than once, you may have significant deterioration in the wood material. In such a case you could be looking at replacement rather than repair.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    You didn't mention how many times this has happened, but if it happened more than once, you may have significant deterioration in the wood material. In such a case you could be looking at replacement rather than repair.
    Or it could be that the old glue was not completely cleaned off before re gluing.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Or it could be that the old glue was not completely cleaned off before re gluing.

Jack
    Jack,

You're absolutely right, applying new glue on a surface with dried out old glue can't really work well.

Every glue manufacture states this on its label.