+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy So-called "smart" spackling dries rubbery

Yesterday I refinished a large part of my kitchen wall with "smart non-shrink wall fix" (zero VOC). It was harder to apply than the plain old wall fix I usually use, so I left it more rough and thick than I normally would, figuring that spackling is easy to sand so my usual perfectionsm wasn't necessary anyway. This evening I started to sand it. Well, started to TRY to sand it! It has dried to a strange rubbery consistency. Reading the back of the tub, it says "requires no sanding" and, under the warnings, there's the usual cautions about sanding causing dust. It doesn't say anywhere that it cannot be sanded, or that it is supposed to dry rubbery. Any ideas on what might have gone wrong, and how I can get the horrible stuff off my wall so I can start over, would be gratefully received. Thanks

Default Re: So-called "smart" spackling dries rubbery

Never heard of that particular product, and am not sure why you'd be smearing a spackle material on your walls when that is not what it is used for. If you're trying to skim coat walls, you use drywall compound or topping compound, topping compound being the better of the two because it is smoother and easier to sand when dry.

As for getting it off the wall, I would recommend checking the manufacturer's website for cleaning up dried material and possibly some troubleshooting guides on why it has become rubbery. I would probably even go so far as to contact the company for help if you don't get anywhere with their website.

What you're probably going to end up doing is to skim over the top of the spackle with drywall topping compound to get rid of the sticky and have a wall you can work with.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: So-called "smart" spackling dries rubbery

I read the instructions for this product last evening. It is specific about how to apply it smoothly, down to giving tips to wet the trowel to work it perfectly smooth, because it states on the label: no-sand type spackle.
    It's apparently not formulated to be sanded after application. It's probably not a good idea to ignore the recommended uses and the specific instructions and then complain later.
    Remove it with a scra per and start over with ordinary spackle or drywall mud, or any of the myriad choices available.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.