+ Reply to Thread

Question Replacing water supply line: PEX vs. black polyethylene ?

We have gotten two quotes to replace our old galvanized water supply line (pipe from the water main to our house). One plumber uses PEX and the other uses black polyethylene. I know both options are cheaper than copper and both seem to be good options, but I don't know if PEX is better than black poly/PE. The PEX quote is a bit higher, and I wondered if it was because of the type of pipe. Is PEX better than black polyethylene?

Default Re: Replacing water supply line: PEX vs. black polyethylene ?

IF you're talking about the main water supply from the water meter in the street to the house,
    AND IF you have a water pressure reducer/regulator right there - don't replace your old line with plastic of any kind.
    Go with type L copper only: spend a little more now, and save a lot later.

Copper pipes can take high water pressure better than any plastic pipes.

I would use PEX but be sure it's 1" and not 3/4". PEX pipe has a smaller ID then copper or polyethylene.

John

Here in the state of Wisconsin you can only use PEX on the INSIDE of the house not as a water main underground. PEX can only be run on the outside, here in Wisconsin, if its sleeved and below the frost live which is 8'
    I would 100% have them install the poly. Its a proven product I use it myself on a day to day basis for water mains. Go with poly!!!