+ Reply to Thread

Default Leveling Rough Concrete for Vinyl Floor

I'm putting sheet vinyl onto concrete in a small 3/4 basement bathroom. When I pulled up the carpet squares, there is a patch where the previous owner connected the shower drain to the main sewer line. It's only about a square foot, but one edge was not smoothed out very well and there is a bump about 1/8" - 3/16" high right there. If I put down the sheet vinyl I'm sure I'm going to see that bump. Short of pouring levelling concrete over the entire floor, is there any way to level it out, such as grinding down that little area? If so, can you recommend techniques and tools?

Default Re: Leveling Rough Concrete for Vinyl Floor

Use a hand held side grinder with a diamond blade. To reduce dust, keep the concrete a little wet.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Use a hand held side grinder with a diamond blade. To reduce dust, keep the concrete a little wet.
    Along with that, you can use a shop vac to help suck up the dust as it is created. You set up box fans with furnace filters on them to capture airborne dust. Do not forget to wear a dust mask with eye protection.

Another option would be to rent a cement grinder, which I believe is a wet grinder and does not produce any dust at all.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I did a little ****** searching for a diamond blade, and found them anywhere from $20 (DeWalt) to $100+ (Bosch). I'm sure you get what you pay for, but I hope this isn't a $100 'bump'. I think the handheld grinder is the way to go though. I don't think I need a big machine like you'd use for a whole floor, and that seems to be what rental will get you.

Get the Dewalt, it will give the same result as the Bosch.
    The price tag on the Bosch doesn't mean it's worth 5 times the Dewalt. It merely says that imports cost more, due to the weakness of the dollar.

Go with the DeWalt blade, I've got one on my angle grinder and it holds up just fine.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Great, thanks everyone. I'll try to find that blade locally, and I can borrow an angle grinder from a friend. I'll report back how it turns out!