+ Reply to Thread

Default Slow drain, on occasion

This is really weird. This problem several months ago and now reoccurs every few weeks. The drain in the tub will go from draining perfectly to barely draining. I keep a hair trap on top of the drain to catch the hair before it goes down the drain. If my husband opens the overflow pipe in the wall and runs the 15ft snake completely out, the drain will start draining again. The first time he snaked the pipe he got yuk out of it but since that initial snake, nothing comes out. The time previous to this back up he even followed up with draino thinking perhaps there was a clog further in. Worked just as well as the straight snaking, which works perfect, but here we are 3 weeks later, same problem this morning, just decided to back up when i showered. He got all the water out, snaked the overflow, again nothing came out but the drainage flow was restored.
    This is driving us nuts.
    A bit about the house, 1928 4 square,only 1 bathroom and it is upstairs. The drainage problem is only in the bathtub, does not affect the toilet or any of the sinks in the house. I would appreciate any help.
    Thanks,
    Susan

Default Re: Slow drain, on occasion

time to pay attention to the vents: check them for debris, leaves and other blockages. See if it helps.

If your drain shut off is the type that is a cylinder on a lift lever you might have to adjust it. If it is always partially blocking the drain a small amount of debris can cause a complete blockage. Then when you pull it out to snake the drain the debris is released.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Typical hair problem in your line. You said 15' and all fine then used again then did not work. This tells me the clog is further down. Using draino is god for trap clogs typically in semi flowing drains not totally clogged drains. There are other crystal products out there that heat up and dissolve hair and scum in the the line. ZEP products carries a line of drain crystal openers that will do a better job for you. But to solve your problem use a 25' hand drill snaked with a good cutter tip on the end.

Wink Re: Slow drain, on occasion

Do you know if you have a drum trap or not??? If you do have a drum trap, which is typical for that old a house, the snake may just be wrapping around itself in the drum trap and not doing anything have a local plumber replace it. If no drum trap the vent may be blocked or the clog is further down.

Quote Originally Posted by plumber1118 View Post
    Do you know if you have a drum trap or not??? If you do have a drum trap, which is typical for that old a house, the snake may just be wrapping around itself in the drum trap and not doing anything have a local plumber replace it. If no drum trap the vent may be blocked or the clog is further down.
    If the snake wrapped around itself in a drum trap it would be very difficult to get it out (if not impossible) with out destroying the cable.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    If the snake wrapped around itself in a drum trap it would be very difficult to get it out (if not impossible) with out destroying the cable.

John
    Your right it would be hard but not impossible I've done it a few times. Anyways just brain storming!!!
    FYI: Drano is VERY bad for galvanized pipes. Try using the afore mentioned crystals activated by hot water if you are going to use a pour in type drain cleaner. Best results are with a powered snake!!!

So this morning she is clogged again, here is what I know....
    There is not drain plug any more, when we moved it it was falling apart so Greg pulled it out and we use one of the flat round rubber circles over the drain hole, when we drain I have one of those hair catchers that fit over the drain to catch any hair seems to work well as far as that go

When you say vent are you talking the stack pipe that comes out of the top of the roof? That is actually less that 15 feet from the tub cleanout, very small bathroom
    Also if this was clogged wouldnt we have problems with the toilet and sink draining? They do fine even when the tub is back up.

This week is a rough week for money, instead of the crystle drain stuff, I am going to try baking soda and vinegar, followed by hot water I guess, this is just crazy.

Thanks for the information guys.

There is no strainer that I know of that will totally prevent hair from going down the drain. Get one of these and use it both in the overflow and the tub shoe.

http://zipitclean.com/

John

I dunno John it does take all 15 ft of the snake we have to restore tub flow and again no hair comes out at all, no dirt nothing the auger snake comes out clean.