+ Reply to Thread

Default Clapboard Questions

I live in New England and will be painting my house soon, but first need to replace rotted and split clapboard; I'll use pre-primed red cedar.

I'll need ~850 linear feet which will cost $500+ dependent on where I buy it. I know there are different grades of clapboard so a few questions on where to buy it.

- Home Depot or Lowes charge $0.625 a linear foot. Local lumber yards charge ~$0.79 a linear foot. From a quality perspective, is there any reason to pay more at a local lumber yard? For example, will the Home Depot or Lowes one tend to curl up along its length or not last as long for some reason?

- I might need to mix bundles from a few places to get the quantity I need. Is there any issue with doing this?

- For boards that will be cut, what primer is best for the now unprimed cut end? The house will be stained, so I do not want to use caulking on the ends.

Thanks

Default Re: Clapboard Questions

"I live in New England and will be painting my house soon, but first need to replace rotted and split clapboard; I'll use pre-primed red cedar."
    "For boards that will be cut, what primer is best for the now unprimed cut end? The house will be stained, so I do not want to use caulking on the ends."

What are you doing??? Painting, or staining??? More info needed!!!

?????

I am very sorry, but the questions asked here indicates that you really need a pro to help you to figure out what you need. Pay the money, it will be well worth it.
    Last edited by Tacoma John; 07-31-2012 at 11:41 PM.

I thought I had heard this before. These are your words from a previous thread.

"I believe my siding is cedar. Some of it needs to be replaced due to splitting, curved boards, rotting, etc. What type of cedar is recommended - red or white? Or is either ok, and it is just a price issue?

I expect that whatever I get, I will get it pre-primed.

- To date the siding has been stained. In general, it has held up well. I recently had an estimate from a local group to repaint the house. I was told that after many years, the wood siding can no longer absorb the stain, that I should now paint the house. Does this make any sense? I've never heard anything like this before."

Please understand, I really am not trying to be mean in any way. There are many things that I can not do well or at all including spell or write well ). Please read my response to your previous thread. I say this because you have changed the type of wood you want, and you want preprimed wood, but you want to stain it. I dont know if you know what you want or why. Please get some pro help, not from the newspaper, or the handyman down the street. Check out the web and read reviews or call service magic and look at those reviews. Here are mine on service magic.
    http://csrtools.servicemagic.com/biz/bangopainting
    Last edited by Tacoma John; 08-01-2012 at 12:25 AM.