+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need Lawn Help

Hybrid View

Default Need Lawn Help

I attempted to put in a new lawn in late May/early June. I got a good amount of germination from the new grass seed, but I also got a ton of crab grass. I want to be able to reseed in September but I do not know what my next step should be. Should I leave the crab grass alone and hope the new grass doesnt get choked out or should I attemp to treat the entire area with a chemical and hope only the crabgrass dies.

Any suggestions would be great.

Default Re: Need Lawn Help

Just try a crab grass preventer in the spring.

Optimally you can spray for the crabgrass only then inject new seed directly into the soil.

OR

You can overseed with grass seed in the fall and wait until the cold weather kills the crabgrass The use a crab grass pre-emergent in the spring

Houston,

Doesn't pre-emergent crabgrass killer also prevent the germination of all seeds, much like Preen?

yes, depending on the type used. Some work on only monocots, some work on only dicots.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Houston,

Doesn't pre-emergent crabgrass killer also prevent the germination of all seeds, much like Preen?
    That's why it works so well. The OP could not have used a pre-emergent when he planted his lawn last spring because then the lawn wouldn't have germinated. Most lawn grasses are perennial so they won't have any problems coming back in the spring with a pre-emergent, but the crab grass, it's an annual so the pre-emergent will stop it.

So, I should over seed in the fall early enough so that it germinates before spring?

Default Window Treatments NYC

Here at Stuart's Home Fashion you will be able to find a wide variety of window products that will spice up your windows, including Window Shades, Window Blinds, Window Shutters, Window D****s and more. Our professional staff will help you with window cleaning, window decorating, privacy, light control, energy efficiency, child safety, and operation. View our large display of items that will allow you to arrive at the perfect choice for your own home. Check out our specials page for our current discounts.