+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dark Cabinets

Default Dark Cabinets

So want to get peoples opinion on something. I just recently bought a house in Kansas. I loved the house because of all the original woodwork, which I plan to keep and restore. The kitchen however is horrible so I plan on gutting it and starting over.

My question is in regards to the cabinet color. I really like the dark Java or Merlot colored cabinets. The woodwork in the house is more of a chestnut color. I want to keep the look of the house, which was built in 1910. Do you think the colors would clash too much? Would the darker cabinets come out too modern vs the rest of the house? Anyone have any ideas or pics on how to use the darker cabinet but still keep the old timey feel of the house. Sorry I don't have any pics yet, I don't close for another week

Default Re: Dark Cabinets

You might consider going with classic white cabinets for the bulk of the kitchen if you want to be more period. Use the dark ones for an island. Or white uppers and dark lowers might be nice.

First, congratulations on the purchase of your home. Let's hope you successfully close escrow.

Colors and interior design are very personal things, but if you ask us, going with merlot (or cherry) cabinets will be very nice. It looks like you like those rich wood tones.

How is the lighting in the kitchen area? lighting, natural or otherwise, is important.

Send photos when you can (via phtobucket).

The color of the cabinets is not as important as the style.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The color you have chosen is good, but than our opinion, i think you have to see that which color suits to your kitchen. If you send the pics then we will have some idea about that, In my point of view, the cabinets with the counter color grey will looks really very beautiful.
    bike racks protection

I think Orange-ish yellow tones complement red wood cabinets in Merlot or Bordeaux is the perfect color combination to stimulate the appetite and make family members feel welcomed in the space.