Oh, what a pain. With positive grade in the back yard, my Western Pa. property is becoming an concrete-like playground. The common area behind us guides natural water down into and through our yard.
As a result, the thin soil is washing away.

The shale is surfacing in a large area. Nothing but ROCK, broken shale and stones are now my surface.

With 3 young children, ages 8,6, and 2, and all very active outdoors kids ... I am extremely saddened by this result, for them to have to play on.

What solution do I have, as we are setting on top of a shale boulder mountainous lot. (next door has same issue but kids are grown and they put a paver walkway and hot tub on the affected area).

I am looking into Sod. Thinking of putting down a few inches of soil, on top of the Shale, and then Sodding on top.

Is this smart? Is it correct? Will it work that way, or do I need further input from the experts?

OF NOTE: my lot is about 75' wide and 90' deep. This is only occuring on the far right side and middle of the depth dimension, about 20' wide and 20' deep.
My point ... how do I set the Sod on TOP of the dirt on TOP of the shale while keeping the edges BELOW the surface?

Please, offer me and my kids some cure!!!
Ron "Hard Yard Working Dad"

ps- the lot was cleared 4 years ago for this new home plan. This erosion happened quickly and is expanding by the month.