+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How do I adjust anti-scald device in shower?

My inner faucet...Think I should unscrew the plastic knob on the front? Nervous about stripping the threads on plastic.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a faucet.jpg 
Views:	545 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	2403  
    Last edited by pats1; 04-21-2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: more info

I'm willing to bet that the brass lug swings around and the white plastic lug acts as the stop. I'm wondering if you have to line the brass lug up with the notch below the plastic lug to remove the plastic piece. You would then rotate the ring counter clockwise (more hot ) and reinstall it.

Because you said that moving the brass part turns on the water, I'd turn off the water main to the house before attempting any further adjustments, just in case my comment above is correct. If it is, you have to turn on the shower to adjust the temp, making for a wet experience.

Another question. The chrome tube in the center of the escutcheon plate that surrounds the valve, can you remove that? It should just be a slip fit in the center of the plate. It is possible that there is a clip or retainer of some sort hidden by the center escutcheon tube. If it's not removable, you won't hurt anything to remove the two screws in the face plate and remove the whole thing from the wall. You'll probably have to cut the caulking around the plate, and when you reinstall it you'll need to recaulk it to prevent leaks into the wall. I still think you should be able to adjust the temp without accessing the entire valve in the wall, but sometimes having more access helps to figure out what you need to do.

Great picture, BTW.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Yes, the white plastic definitely acts as a "stop" but I'm starting to get overwhelmed...You say "line the brass lug up with the notch below the plastic lug"...By the plastic lug do you mean the white plastic "nut" front and center? What notch below the plastic lug? Is there something I'm not seeing? When I take the plate off (with hot/cold on it) there's nothing on the shower wall behind it...just the pipe going through the wall and I'm NOT messing with that! (Really appreciating your help here.)
    Last edited by pats1; 04-21-2009 at 01:56 PM. Reason: spelling

I had to download the image and enlarge it to see the valve in more detail. I may have been mistaken on the notch.

What is this? Are those teeth? If so, then this ring needs to be removed, rotated and re-engaged onto the teeth. That will relocate the stop and give you more hot water.

Can you take a close up picture where the arrow is? Can you also get a better shot of the plastic hex in the very center?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a faucet.jpg 
Views:	611 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	2404  
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pats1 View Post
    My husband's threatening to just turn up the temperature on the hot water heater
    That, unfortunately, is not going to work. You need to get the hot side of the valve to open more and allow more hot water to flow, just raising the temp at the water heater isn't going to cut it.

I was hoping to write TA-DAH!!! but I'll have to settle for TA-DAH? Long story short, turns out my local Agway/True Value Hardware sells Baypointe and had mine there. Looked for website/800 # but none so I carefully opened box; inside was exactly what I have at hime. Instructions showed sketch of how to adjust the temp. with something about removing the C-slip to push the brass collars with tabs apart; 180 degrees would be the hottest. Couldn't figure out where C-clip was so collared helpful guys at counter--who didn't tell me anything more than I already knew! Helpful customer overheard, said just force brass collars apart. Helpful hardware guy tried gently but they wouldn't budge. Good thing! That white "nut" actually pops off, beneath it is a small gasket or O-ring. Remove that and the GEARED brass collars move easily. I went home and did it BUT 180 degrees seems to make water colder SO I lined them up almost on top of each other and I'm almost positive water is hotter. Think I need to test it out myself to be sure.

Glad you finally got it. I was about to start calling you a trouble maker for being so difficult ...