+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do I adjust anti-scald device in shower?

Can someone help with this? It's a new-to-us house. Water in kitchen (in next room) is fine. Water in shower is tepid at best. Friends suggested it might be the anti-scald device; guy at hardware store told me I was probably on the right track but couldn't offer any more advice. Back side of shower is exposed in outer wall (we need to cover it with sheetrock) but I see nothing there...I've done a little ****** research. Seems like I need to remove plate over shower control handle from the shower stall side (just a one-piece handle) but I'm a little nervous I'll end up with no shower!

Default Re: How do I adjust anti-scald device in shower?

Howdy depending on whom made the fixture its removal can be by loosing a small screw or popping the decorative cover off. Some Deltas for example has a sort of dial to adjust the temp under the caps. Consider checking the web once you determine whom made it for adjustment directions...

The best advice is to look up the manufacturer on the web and find the detailed "how-to" for your particular faucet. Short of that, we're all just guessing. I have only dealt with single handled valves with this feature and those all had the adjustment stops under the handle. Remove the handle and look for stops and adjust them until you get the temperature you like. You should not have to remove the escutcheon covering the hole in the wall over the valve to make this adjustment. Again, the manufacturer's website should have the adjustment procedure or you can email them for assistance.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks. Can't seem to find any manufacturer's name anywhere but I think I'll get brave enough this weekend to take off the handle and try there.

Quote Originally Posted by pats1 View Post
    Thanks. Can't seem to find any manufacturer's name anywhere but I think I'll get brave enough this weekend to take off the handle and try there.
    Are there any markings at all? Logos?
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

OK. So I finally got brave enough to take off faucet handle and I think what I want is there! But still can't figure out how to adjust it! (In the proces, I discovered it's made by Bay Pointe, but no luck finding them ******. Just some reference to a patent dated 1978 that mentions Allen wrench but nothing else.) Anyway, what's there IS a white plastic collar with a slot oin the left-hand side like you might stick a screw driver in, but I can't move it at all with my fingers and my supervising husband says, "I don't want to break anything...) The only other thing is a brass collar ring with a tab on it with a similar one behind it. That DOES move counterclockwise but only turns on the water! I'm sure this is what faucet "stem" fits into to, duh, turn on the water.

I believe that you're on the right track. Does the white plastic collar have gear-like teeth on it or is it captive in a gear tooth pattern? Does it have ears on it that engage anything? Is there a set screw that holds it in place? Whatever the case, you will be disengaging the interlock and probably will rotate it counter clockwise (towards the hot side ). This should be a VERY easy task, no force required, though a small screw driver or needle nose pliers may be necessary to get a hold of it or move it. Can you take a picture of it?

A quick Google for Baypointe (one word ) turns up Globe Union Industrial Corp, which is a Taiwan manufacturer of kitchen and bath faucets, among other things. They private label as well as have their own product lines. That was about as close to their products as I could get in a few minutes.

I will try to get a photo. I don't remember gears though I do remember it was a little hard to see because the collar is seated behind the "brass" collars, one on top of the other with a tab on each, sort of forming an X. They move counterclockwise with finger pressure and I thought I was home free, but all they did was turn the water on! The odd thing is the slot on the white plastic collar (on the left side) is on a curve and though there's definitely a spot to insert something, it makes me wonder whether there's a special tool required? My husband's threatening to just turn up the temperature on the hot water heater, but I told him to give me a little more time. I tried the local and usually good hardware store but I think I know more than that guy did!

I think you're definitely on the right track. All an anti-scald device is are limiting stops on how far you can turn hot side of the faucet to the 'on' position. If you see ears on any of those collars, it is likely that they're engaging into one and other somehow.

Is the plastic disc shaped like a "C"? If it is, then you'll either compress or expand the legs of the C to disengage from the mating discs. Rotate counter clockwise 1/8" to 1/4", then test your hot water output. From there adjust accordingly until you get the desired temperature.