+ Reply to Thread

Default flooring choices

Hello, everyone.
    We are remodeling our kitchen, which is part of a fairly open first floor. We want to put the same wood flooring throughout. The main considerations are: ease of installation (diy), and occasional water and other spills in the kitchen. The question is, what type of floor to install? Solid wood or engineered? Nail down or floating? If floating, will lock-click be ok? We know what liquids in the seams of lock-click laminate flooring will do(ugly); will the same thing happen with engineered wood?
    Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Default Re: flooring choices

You can get all the info here itself on this site. Go through "Picking the perfect floor" article on this wonderful site.

Solid wood flooring will work just fine. When I remodeled our 120 year old house I ripped up three layers of sheet flooring, in our kitchen sanded, stained and polyed the flooring and 7 years later the flooring is doing just fine. I also did this with about 15 kitchens of my 100 year old apartment building sometimes tearing up a total of four sheet floors one on top of another.

I found perfectly good wood floors underneath and frankly it was easier and cheaper to sand, stain, and poly the floor rather then put a new subfloor down and put a resilient floor down. All of those floors are holding up just fine. I have never had a problem with water damage or other damage. Some of the floors had water stains near where the old icebox had leaked but you just pick a stain that is darker then that old stain and it will blend in.

You mentioned laminate and water. Don't install laminate in the kitchen. Solid wood is a good choice.

Choose what you love, then love your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    You mentioned laminate and water. Don't install laminate in the kitchen. Solid wood is a good choice.

Choose what you love, then love your choice.
    Loved reading your advice "Choose what you love, then love your choice" , we must select the stuffs as per our choice and not by other's choice.

We have had laminate in the kitchen of a cabin of ours for 12 years and have had zero issues, including an unscheduled leak that covered the entire floor. Yes there was some curling of a few planks but not to the point they had to be replaced. Laminate was the budget choice at the time with the intent to change out in a few years but decided if it wasn't broken didn't need to fix it. However, no kids, no dogs, no water balloon fights. The same laminate, 1st generation click lock, experienced a real flood from driving rain off the lake for 8 hours, separation of the joints developed but I still didn't need to replace it. WILSONART brand. Maybe just lucky.

If budget is not the real issue, solid 3/4 inch hardwood is your best ROI, DIY is not an issue if you have some measuring and cutting skills, rent a pneumatic floor nailer.

#2 Engineered, as durable as 3/4 " and glue down, ventilate well or put on the Woodstock album.

There are some amazing laminates available now at 12mm. Do not expect any return on investment on a resale, if one expects full market value I always rip out the laminate and install hardwood.