+ Reply to Thread

Default Dimming incadescent light

I have a friend with an older home and some electrician genious wired two lights and two outlets to one switch even though my friend wants to dim the lights. Is there any product available to accomplish this? My first thought was a wireless dimmer installed behind the light fixture and controlled by remote. Or possibly a permanent dimmer that could be installed behind the fixture to dim only the light and not the whole line so the outlets are not affected. Anyone have any ideas? TY

Default Re: Dimming incadescent light

Quote Originally Posted by keebs View Post
    I have a friend with an older home and some electrician genious wired two lights and two outlets to one switch even though my friend wants to dim the lights. Is there any product available to accomplish this? My first thought was a wireless dimmer installed behind the light fixture and controlled by remote. Or possibly a permanent dimmer that could be installed behind the fixture to dim only the light and not the whole line so the outlets are not affected. Anyone have any ideas? TY
    Not sure if power comes to the switch location then feeds two lights. If so, install a permanent dimmer in place of the single pole switch.

If no wall switch, just constant power to the light, yes a module at the light and a remote would be fine. Assuming the "light" is the dimmable variety.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

What Maurice said plus;

My first guess would be bad wiring on the part of the installer. A new, competent electrician should be able to fix this with the existing materials or maybe add a new dimmer since the old one may be doomed due to plugging things into the dimmed outlets. I would show up with a new dimmer in hand to be assured of perfect operation.

If the light was operated by a switch and the outlets were not involved before this guy showed up, it will be an easy fix.

Quote Originally Posted by The Semi-Retired Electric View Post
    Not sure if power comes to the switch location then feeds two lights. If so, install a permanent dimmer in place of the single pole switch.

If no wall switch, just constant power to the light, yes a module at the light and a remote would be fine. Assuming the "light" is the dimmable variety.

The purpose of my post was completely misunderstood.
    Let me try asking a diferent way...

To answer a few questions first:
    The feed comes to the switch and then the switch feeds two lights and two outlets. There is no way to seperate the lights from the outlets. Yes this is poor wiring from a lazy electrician. It's impossible to rewire the outlets from the interior without cutting drywall ceilings and/or walls. It's impossible to rewire the lights/outlets from the exterior without tearing out newly constructed plastic decorative columns on the front of the house. The carpenters cut a grooze into the back of the columns and laid the wire in the groove as they installed the columns. Modifying the wiring as it's currently installed is not an option the Homeowners wants to pursue. So I have to do the best I can with a poor situation.

What I want to know is HOW can I dim the lights, NOT IF I can dim the lights. Specifically, what product can I use at the light fixtures themselves to be able to dim the lights? I have been unable to find a product on the market that will accomplish dimming by remote and/or an adjustable dimmer to permanently mount behind the fixtures.

Yes the lights are dimmable - standard incadescent variety.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

keebs,
    Semiretiredelec gave you the answer: there is a module you can get, that will go on the fixture and will enable you to dim that particular fixture from a distance. Inquire at electric supply stores near you.