+ Reply to Thread

Default Fresh Drywall/ Eggshell paint/ wallpaper HELP!!!

We moved into this house and I'm trying to redo my daughter's bedroom. This is the problem.

Top half of room was painted in a semi-gloss eggshell paint
    Bottom half wallpapered. Nothing on drywall...maybe some sizing.
    Ceiling- When we removed ceiling fan we noticed not even connected to anything and drywall all busted up. Husband cut out drywall and conneceted ceiling fan to joist. Now large patch of new drywall in center of room.

Question: I started by reading tips here. I sanded all the walls and washed them down. Now after hubby stepped in we have so many surfaces to deal with. Should we go and get a gallon or two of primer and prime the room first and move from there?

Thanks for help.

Default Re: Fresh Drywall/ Eggshell paint/ wallpaper HELP!!!

It is difficult to answer your question when all you supply is that you want to redo the room.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

The answer is yes! You will have to mud the patch in the ceilig and I bet a skim coat will be needed where the wall paper stoped and the paint started. Mud, tape and joint compound, will not stick to paint very well. You will need to prime after you have patched and or skim coated. Just the affected areas, not the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacoma John View Post
    You will need to prime after you have patched and or skim coated. Just the affected areas, not the whole thing.
    I would disagree with this advice, as it is indeed a way to get "hot" spots. Yes, you will need to spot prime any new drywall/patches with at least one, preferably two, coats of primer, followed by priming all painted surfaces with at least one coat, preferably two coats of primer. NOW you are ready to top coat with your preferred paint.

It is unclear if the wallpaper is being removed, if so it is important to remove as much of the glue as possible. If it is wallpaper paste, it will come off with water, if it is something else, it may need to be chipped off or skim coated with topping compound to smooth out the wall and the transition from paper to no paper where a paint bead may exist. Obviously, if the wall is textured, you'll have to reapply the texture in any areas of repair or skimming.

In the next room you redo, before you unnecessarily cut holes in the ceiling to relocate fan boxes to joists, you can accomplish the same thing without damage to the ceiling by replacing the existing box with a fan rated spreader bar and box or blocking and a new fan rated box.

The spreader bar is a turnbuckle with cleats on each end that is installed from the room side of the ceiling. The turnbuckle forces the cleats against the ceiling joists, then the box bolts to the turnbuckle. You can accomplish the same thing by going into the attic and installing blocking above the fan location and then screwing a metal box to the blocking. Both of these techniques will save you time and hassles with unnecessary drywall repairs due to relocation of ceiling boxes.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I'm sorry I was not more clear.

The wallpaper has been removed and I washed the walls. However, under where the wallpaper was it appears that the only covering on the drywall may have been a light coat of sizing. The drywall is bare in some patches. Above the chair rail they used Pittsburgh paint called Interior Enamel Wall & Trim Lo-Lustre Semi-Gloss Latex-Acrylic Satinhide. 88-110. (They left us the unused paint). Then the ceiling was a mess.

So I first removed wallpaper, washed paste off. Then read this web site. I then sanded walls and washed walls. Husband took ceiling fan down and found mess.

Cut out drywall, put in the device described below. Patched drywall. Today he painted one coat of patched drywall with primer. Paint around drywall patch bubbled up but now seems to be flat.

I don't know if we should prime the walls that have that paint and no paint on them or if we should use the left over paint and paint the bottom half the same as the top then sand the whole thing.

We bought paint already to do the room it is SW flat and a semi-gloss in two shades of purple as daughter wants purple stripes in room.

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Thanks so much to those of you who did respond. Most helpful

Sorry, was answering question should I prime the whole room and I said yes. Then skim coat and patch and prime those areas that needed to be reworked. This post is full of holes, including my answer.
    Last edited by Tacoma John; 07-28-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Where the wall paper was removed, you say it is bare drywall, there you should coat with at least two coats of PVA primer as well as the new patch . If the line between the primed area and the painted area are even you are ready to go. If not some sanding and feathering may be needed so you don't have the line telegraph through the finish. I personally would prime all the walls and ceiling before applying the paint. With it all primed you will have a better idea of how good the surfaces are and can still do some patching if necessary.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Whenever I removed paper, I always primed the whole room. First, you inevitably gouge the wall here and there and have patches. Secondly, try as you might to get all the paste off the wall, you will miss some, especially the clear cellulose pastes used on pre-pasted papers. Primer helps to seal in any errant paste. Further, you can tint the primer to the new color of the room. This improves the coverablity of the final coat of paint. I would also spot prime any patches before the general priming. This assures that there will be no "flashing" in the sheen of the paint. IF IN DOUBT, PRIME! You are never wrong to prime, alhough it is sometimes overkill.