+ Reply to Thread

Default Question about plasma TV Frame

My husband and I just picked up a 42 inch plasma from Best Buy for 799.00 we also picked up a good mount that goes up and down and left and right. We are going to be putting above our fireplace.

My husband was thinking of recessing the TV in the wall a bit so the wires would be hidden but alas the fire place is brick all the way up so we cant do this. So here is my question.

My husband said he could build a false wall to recess into but I am worried about heat. I am thinking about a frame for it like the ones here:
    or here

How do these frames hold up over time? any other suggestions? what about hanging from the ceiling?

Thanks in advance

Pacific Northwet

Default Re: Question about plasma TV Frame

As long as the fireplace has proper, non-combustible surfaces around the opening for a distance as specified by building codes (don't ask me, I don't know what the distances are), you should be fine with the false wall.

It's quite common to have combustible wall surfaces (wood, wallpaper, etc.) above a fireplace, but there must be a brick or tile "buffer" (somewhere around 12" wide) between the opening and the mantlepiece.

If you do go with the false wall idea, it would be wise to consult your local building authority and get the proper permits and inspections. Even though it's not structural, it does deal with fire, and should there be a problem you'll have better luck with your insurance company if the work was permitted, inspected, and approved.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Default Re: Question about plasma TV Frame

Thank you very much for your answer. We are going with the false wall idea. Its going to be a bit more expensive but my husband has contracted some local builders who are handling all of the permits and such.

I will post some pictures when we get it done.