+ Reply to Thread

Default Preserving original clapboards that are now inside?

We're just moving into a Georgian Colonial built ~1800; there was an addition added to one side of the house in the early 1900s that was unfinished (used as a workroom, storage, mudroom) that we want to finish. We've discovered, underneath some plywood and insulation, original (or near-original) clapboards that were on the exterior wall that the extension was attached to.

Because they're so unusual, and mostly intact, we want to keep the clapboards exposed on that one wall. The wood is very old, and very "soft." What are some things we can do to preserve it, yet keep its appearance? Or should we just leave it as-is, since it's inside and not exposed to the elements?

Default Re: Preserving original clapboards that are now inside?

You'd keep it like any other interior wall, clean and painted.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Don't think we want to paint it. Thinking we'll clean it, and then see how it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by aweaver View Post
    We're just moving into a Georgian Colonial built ~1800; there was an addition added to one side of the house in the early 1900s that was unfinished (used as a workroom, storage, mudroom) that we want to finish. We've discovered, underneath some plywood and insulation, original (or near-original) clapboards that were on the exterior wall that the extension was attached to.
    This is an exciting discovery! I love that old, exposed look.

I'm not a spe******t (EDIT: I am trying to spell s p e c i a l i s t, but system won't let me), but if you don't want to paint them, a wax polish might give them SOME protection and keep them smooth enough to clean easily. (It will darken their color a tone or so, though)