+ Reply to Thread

Default Green Homes in San Diego

I live in San Diego, a place I consider to be one of the most progressive thinking cities in the US, but our local government doesn't seem to know how to keep itself straight and stay on board.

SDG&E is proposing a rate change that would cause solar power users to have to pay more than other SDG&E users for the use of electricity transmission through a Network Use Charge, a Basic Service Fee and a Prepay Service option.

Whether you're from San Diego or not, check out my website at ExploreSanDiego.org for what makes San Diego the perfect vanguard for ecological conservatism. With a wild and beautiful diversity of environment, it can't be denied that our resources are worth preserving.
    Last edited by christoperalan61; 12-06-2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: misspelling

Default Re: Green Homes in San Diego

i am curious to go San Diego because it is a wonderful place but as you informed in your post that US charging extra fee this is not fair with the residence .
    whatever we can not deny with the beauty of San Diego Doesn't matter what they are charging.

I think you need to look into this a little closer. I cannot say for sure how SDG&E is operating, but we have a program here in Tennessee where consumers can buy units of electricity from renewable sources. This is a voluntary program for people who are committed to environmental issues and have the means to support them. This program helps fund the development of renewable energy sources, such as the solar farm in southwest Tennessee.

The power that comes from renewable sources is very expensive and solar is the highest of all. Without this program, the solar farm here will not recover the cost to build it in the next 20 years at the current electric rates. In fact, it would probably take over a hundred years for payback, and that's only if the solar panels last that long.

It might be that San Diego is requiring residents to pony up and buy a certain number of renewable units of electricity, or that some neighborhoods have this commitment in their bylaws so that the program is not so voluntary.

That program does sound practical.

Quote Originally Posted by christoperalan61 View Post
    I live in San Diego, a place I consider to be one of the most progressive thinking cities in the US, but our local government doesn't seem to know how to keep itself straight and stay on board.

SDG&E is proposing a rate change that would cause solar power users to have to pay more than other SDG&E users for the use of electricity transmission through a Network Use Charge, a Basic Service Fee and a Prepay Service option.
    San Diego probably has the best weather in the USA, but Silicon Valley is right up there. SV (Santa Clara County) has 1.8 million people, but they don't have the US Pacific Fleet and Attack Submarine base, Coronado Island, Miramar Marine Air Station, San Diego Bay & USS Miday museum and Seaworld.

However, I have to question you on some things.

If SDG&E is proposing this, they are a profit making utility. If I understand correctly, electric ultilities in Calif are regulated transmission companies -- they handle the front end. As a consumer, you can buy electricity from the NON-REGULATED ultility of SDG&E or another third party supplier. If I also understand correctly, when I lived in SV, my neighbor's solar panels produced more power during the summer than he used and his system pushed out power to the network for the same credit as he would have to pay to buy power (he said he meter would reverse when power was added to PG&E's network).

Basically, SDG&E is looking to raise revenue, or surcharge consumers for SDG&E's mandate to buy higher priced solar generated electricity. It's more likely the state utility commission will decide rather than SD local government so you're asking the wrong people.
    About 4 years ago, I received the annual notice that PG&E is raising rates -- buried in the notice was a specific charge for their PENSION plan for their mostly union employees. I'm not debating whether the plan is just enough or overly generous and in financial doubt, but it was cowardly to hide it.

Whatever you're seeing, is about money and maintaining profits by SDG&E.

I don't know how solar sources could be distinguished from fossil generators. It's like water . . water in NorCal come from differrent sources at different prices, but water becomes fungible at some point and consumers pay the average rate in the utility service area; the utility network can't pipe all cheaper water to one area and pipe expensive water to another, and provide individual rate billing. I don't know how SDG&E will charge one house for solar generated power and another house for buy only fossil burning energy.

Default Go Green

Go Green! Yes I am actually trying to make my house completely natural while keeping this goal in my mind. That is why I have clicked on this platform from where I could get access to relevant information related with Eco-friendly products that are available at the marketplace.
    check this link >>> Hidden Content