+ Reply to Thread

Default How to install basemant shower drain?

Concrete floor, corner type shower, 2in drain pipe in use, vent stack not far away, 7ft. ceiling. Now, how do I get the trap under the base? I know I will have to build it up on some type of wood framework. OR, is there some sort of low clearance type of plumbing availabe so that I dont have to elevate it so high. About how high will this have to go? Have not purchased this unit yet...still in the planning stage. I think I have seen some sort of flat type drain that has a trap already built into it...it was rectangular in shape about 1in. thick and 4in wide, plastic, with 2in. round adaptor/transition coupling opening on each end. Or maybe I am just imagining such a thing. I know that I can break out some concrete to get the trap lower. Also, if I build a frame, what are suggestions for covering up the outwside of this....tile, paint, baseboard,.... How does one hold this base in place? Does the surround fastened to the wall hold it there? Thanks in advance for your input.

Default Re: How to install basemant shower drain?

Howdy, consider obtaining bids from contractors for their suggestions. I would break out the cement around the existing drain with a chipping impact hammer and determine if the existing plumbing will facilitate a shower trap be installed into the hole. Depending on what type of surround you use most are fastened to the wall studs.