+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Main Lug Question

I have two 220 machines running in the garage. I do not want to run them both at the same time but use the LUG as a switch so I can alternate between the machines from a single 30A breaker in the house. One machine is a 30A and the other is 20A. I was told to use a 30 amp main lug with 2 circuits and 4 spaces and put a 20A breaker and a 30A breaker in it. I cant seem to find this product but a local box store has a 40A main lug 2 circuits 4 spaces. Can I put a 30A breaker in there and even the 20 amp breaker?
    Last edited by sounoumon; 07-26-2012 at 08:29 PM.

Default Re: Main Lug Question

Quote Originally Posted by sounoumon View Post
    I have two 220 machines running in the garage. I was told to use a 30 amp main lug with 2 circuits and 4 spaces. I cant seem to find this product but a local box store has a 40amp main lug 2 circuits 4 spaces. Can I put a 30 amp breaker in there and even a 20 amp breakers?
    You didn't say what your equipment draws but were told to buy a
    30A main.

Since there is only a few dollars difference between these panels regardless of their ratings why not buy a panel with a
    100A main breaker?

Feed it with #6-3 w/ground copper wire off a 50A breaker? Then you will have extra spaces to expand.

The 100A breaker will just serve as a main switch in the garage, the 50A will provide the wire protection to the garage.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content