+ Reply to Thread

Default Splotchy stain on new wood

I have been remodeling my house and refinishing all the woodwork along the way. I put in a couple new windows and a matching mantle and used the same material as the old woodwork (clear hemlock) and the same stain I have been using (Minwax ****en Oak) but FORGOT that all my old woodwork was "pre-sealed". Now my new frames are way too dark AND the wood putty (Dap Plastic Wood) has created islands that will not take stain (in spite of the claims on the label). I tried to sand it down but all I got was a lighter version of the splotchy finish. How can I even this out? The dark is not as bad as the splotchy. I was going to fake-grain the light spots with a dry-brush technique but decided the whole thing needs be lightened first.
    Last edited by thelows2; 07-24-2012 at 11:42 PM. Reason: misspelling

Default Re: Splotchy stain on new wood

Varthane does not require a conditioner as minwax does. So try a different product.

I always stain and a couple coats of finish before filling holes. That way you have a better chance of matching the filler to the final color.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

sometimes u can make your own filler using the wood shavings, that you made buy cutting, and glue. you then can stain that...

I would agree with JLMCDANIEL, hole and gap filling is best done after the initial staining and sealing.
    Regardless of what is used as a filler before the staining, it will affect the existing surrounding wood grain to where it will take stain differently. For instance, a water born wood filler will cause the surrounding grain to open up and swell, causing the stain to penetrate more and go darker at that spot. Oil based wood putties, if used prior to staining and before sealing, will cause oils to penetrate the grain and prevent the absorbtion of stain in that area.

Unfortunately, I have no easy answers to how to cure your existing stain problems.