+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Salvaging an old home

We have inherited my in-laws 100+ year old home. It is next to our home, so we aren't interested in selling or renting. We would like to dismantle it for salvage purposes, but don't know where to start. We are in the Houston, TX area.

Any suggestions?

Connie M

Default Re: Salvaging an old home

I would start by stripping the interior.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

That is what I was thinking. Take the trim, windows, and doors. The walls are shiplap pine. We can't take them out without compromising the structure. Would we do the roof next and work our way down?

When you say "The walls are shiplap pine" are you refering to the siding outside or finish inside the house?

Jack

The exterior and interior walls are shiplap pine. If you remove the plaster from the walls, there is wood under it. Each wall has two layers of the pine with a gap in between for wiring, etc. The exterior of the house is asbestos siding with the shiplap pine under it.

If the exterior has ship lap siding that should maintain the integrity of the structure while you remove the interior pine, wiring, and plumbing. If you are not interested in salvaging those items you could start with the roof but be aware once the roof is off anything inside could be damaged by rain.

Jack

That's what I was afraid of. I do want to salvage all the wood possible. But I don't want the house to fall on me. Thanks for the info.

well a demo is a controlled crash, u can put up temporary supports for all the areas that need it. don't just rely on the out walls of the house.

Connie,

It sounds like you're in the Heights, right close to me.

When doing 'selective demolition' sometimes new bracing has to be added to support the structure until final demo.

When a window is removed for example, a sheet of plywood is screwed into the studs to keep the walls square and the house from shifting. At no time will the city allow the structure to become unsafe or un-secure. A demolition permit will be required. BUT FIRST you'll need a plumbing permit to prove the gas and water have been disconnected to qualify to get your demo permit.

Have you considered selling the house as is? There are moving companies which will broker your house to new owners who will move it to a new lot.

Also be 100% sure your old house is not in one of the 16 or so Historic Districts in the city. If your house is in one of the districts you are not allowed to demolish the house, even if stick by stick, nor remove the house. If you desire to modify the house, you must get city HCAC permission. To find out if your house is in a Historic District, web search by starting at this link.

I would love to sell the house for removal, but it is surrounded by trees. There are Crepe Myrtles all along the north and east sides, a very large pecan tree on the south, and an unimproved lot full of trees on the west.

We are in an unincorporated area, so don't have the regulations you Houstonians have to deal with. Do you know of anyone in the Houston/South Texas area who deconstruct houses for salvage?